General Knowledge: continents etc: books/ games?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

General Knowledge: continents etc: books/ games?

Post by fatbananas »

Hello,

I understand that general knowledge comes up in reasoning papers. Can someone recommend any engaging books or board games or, at a push, apps, that can help learn some of this stuff, without it seeming like it's 'just more learning'? DS had a VR question last night where he had to unscramble the word 'continents' and the clue was Africa and Asia. He couldn't get it because he didn't know about continents :?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
hermanmunster

Re: General Knowledge: continents etc: books/ games?

Post by hermanmunster »

One site worth trying is Sporcle - lots of geog and other quizzes on there, other options re geog specifically would be a jigsaw of a world map with countries.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Have a look for the "Brainbox" games "The World" Edition (google it for suppliers - it's fairly widely available). They do others - history, etc too.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you! Sporcle on the computer, brainbox board games and a jigsaw would please both a 21st century kid and his parents!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Bestichka

Post by Bestichka »

Just having a good world map displayed on the wall really helps. DS has a map pinned over his bed and I find that he knows SO MUCH about different countries' location - without a slightest encouragement from my side! Just because it is always there in front of him.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now