Help - really cant choose last option.

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ginger

Help - really cant choose last option.

Post by ginger »

ds really cant choose and the time has come to make a decision. Doing maths, 2 eng, 3 science, spanish, rs, history, art.
He has a complete dilemma between music and geography. He is good at both and predicted A* for both. he is really passionate about music but in a teenage boy, going to be a famous rock star kind of way. he is not so passionate about
geography but does enjoy it and seems to be a natural. His pals are all doing music.

He doesn't want to do either of these at A level and so does it really matter given the other subjects that he will be doing.

His head tells him geography as it will keep more doors open for him later but his heart and friends are telling him to do music.

Should I be this stressed or just let him go with his heart?

Any thoughts to help clear my very muddled brain
Guest55

Re: Help - really cant choose last option.

Post by Guest55 »

Do music - great GCSE and shows a breadth of knowledge with the others.
moved

Post by moved »

Music is difficult to guarantee a high grade. It has been the lowest grade for some very able musicians.
ellen22

Post by ellen22 »

Music is a great choice for someone passionate about it. As A*s are predicted in both he may as well take the one he enjoys most.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DS and friends who are all great at music opted to carry on their musical interests out of school - think they found the GCSE a bit too constrained and used the GCSE slot to do other things (and more reliable A*)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello Ginger, We have just been through this as you can see by my posts in .this thread. My dd is doing Music and Geography, but we did have a bit of a wobble on music because I was concerned about the composition. My dd does not sit up in her bedroom composing tunes and I also had consistently heard that it was hard to get a good grade in Music, we know people with Grade 8 who have got D's. I think Geography would give you more breadth. Could you consider both? DG
ellen22

Post by ellen22 »

DD took GCSEs in both music and geography but definitely preferred music. If you are concerned about grades perhaps check your school's % A* in both subjects. In DD's school the % A* for last year was much higher in music than geography.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi Ginger! ... Any decision yet?

Many kids find GCSE Music a bit different from what they expect. It's harder work than they imagine and has elements which not everyone enjoys. Also, music is easier to carry on outside of the classroom. For me, it's most important to remain in a school ensemble or band of some sort, to enjoy making music with your peers and without worrying about exam grades.

It's harder to carry on with Geography and, yes, this may have wider uses on University application forms. The biggest carrot, though, is that big field trip: extremely popular and a truly great experience.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Jean.Brodie wrote:The biggest carrot, though, is that big field trip: extremely popular and a truly great experience.
And not offered on every course or in every school. If it comes to this, check the course first. :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

No you shouldn't be stressed. He's doing 11 GCEs. It really will never matter whether it was geography or music ... unless he does want to do one of them at university and even then he could probably pick one of them up at A level again if push came to shove.

Just leave him to decide on the day of the deadline.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now