remark of Tiffin papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffincrazy

remark of Tiffin papers

Post by tiffincrazy »

Hi All

I'm new to this forum so not sure where this advice message for help should be posted on.

I think my DS's tiffin papers are not correctly marked. I have requested the school to remark them but they replied that papers are electronically marked twice and therefore will not remark them by hand.

I have just been talking to parents of other children who are in my son's class, apparently 1 or 2 of the boys who normally perform less than my son have been offered places at Tiffins which means they scored 231 or above. My DS score was 215, which i do not belive is correct.

What can i do from here? Do i go for an appeal?
London_Mum

Re: remark of Tiffin papers

Post by London_Mum »

Yes - if you appeal, especially if querying the accuracy of marking, your DS's papers will be remarked. Sometimes though you do have to accept that the mark is correct even if it in no way reflects a child's true aptitude. Anyone can have a bad day. Anyone can get out of synch marking a few questions on a multiple choice answer sheet or mark two by accident and not rub one out.

If you intend to appeal, I think you will need to start from the assumption that the mark is correct even if you intend to prove it bears no resemblance to your DS's abilities. In other words, you will need to focus on demonstrating exceptional academic ability and providing evidence that the exam score is a blip and not accurate in representing your son. You will need to prove that he is the right calibre for Tiffins and also that he would benefit from attending the school in other ways too if you can.
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Wise words from LM. If you were to appeal then it would be better to focus on evidence showing your son is of high academic ability at his present school. If your son is predicated high levels in SAT's then that is a good source of positive evidence. The appeals section on this forum has very useful information that will help you.

Good luck. :D
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Did your ds do any other entrance exams or mocks that would demonstrate ability to perform in exams? How much specific preparation did you do for the exam? You may find his classmates had been prepared more specifically for the format of the exam and so picked up extra marks that way. DG
tiffincrazy

Post by tiffincrazy »

Thank you All for your advice.

I think i will go ahead and try to appeal. But looking back at the appeal cases at Tiffins, i don't think providing only evidence of academic ability will be enough. What do you think?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I suggest you read the appeals section on this forum and then see if it's worthwhile to go through the appeal. Also if you post your case on the appeals forum, perhaps Etienne or Sally-Anne would take it you and guide you.
Surbiton mum

Post by Surbiton mum »

Hi All,
My Daughter was offered her second choice Nonsuch. Though I am pleased, she is close to the cut-off score of TGS which is our first choice.
I am disappointed with her English scores, I was just wondering if I am within my rights to request TGS to either remark or access to the stage 2 11+ entrance exam papers/scripts.

I also understand that TGS marks were not age weighted.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

What were her scores?

Unless very close, the grades are likely to be accurate, but the method of scaling is more questionable.

In this scenario it will almost certainly be best to accept the offered place, since you have one.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I think, it might be best if you post all these queries in Appeals section, then Etienne or other moderators would be able to help you.
Surbiton mum

Post by Surbiton mum »

Thank you, she is 3.1 away from the cut-out, having dd1 at TGS it will be a lot convenient if she gets a place. My dd is August born and it is sad that TGS has not taken age into account on both stages.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now