SHSB letter anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Worrisome Mum

SHSB letter anyone?

Post by Worrisome Mum »

Has anyone got the letter from the school? I have only got one from Suffolk county council.
Anyone who got place at SHSB please post.. As we are in Suffolk we are totally novice to Southend.
DS apprehensive of not knowing anyone and so am I as we have to relocate. It would be a good idea to know someone earlier on to calm the nerves. Also good for our DS too to know someone whom they will meet in September.
Anyone from all you good folks?
Thanks for reaching out Pleased as punch.
:)
Slogger

Re: SHSB letter anyone?

Post by Slogger »

No letter from SHSB yet so you're not alone. I noticed on their website provisional dates for the pupil taster day (5 July) and new parents evening (8 July)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

From the SHSB website:

"YEAR 7 PLACES - SEPTEMBER 2013

Parents of pupils allocated a place at Southend High School for Boys will receive a welcome pack from the school within a few weeks following National Offer Day (1st March). "

(A little bit vague, admittedly. TBH I have absolutely no memory at all of how quickly we had anything from them back in 2008 :shock: ).

According to the Calendar, Induction Day Friday 5th July 0915 - 1515 (TBC), New Yr7 parents' evening Monday 8th July 1930 (TBC). (crossed posts!).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
moved

Post by moved »

We met up some girls who were going to CCHS in the summer. DD is still friends with some, four years later. I would highly recommend it.

We also moved, although we didn't manage until January of her yr 7.
pleased as punch

Post by pleased as punch »

Don't worry I remember it taking a little while for the paperwork to come from the school. I think they let the dust settle a bit first with so much movement happening.

The headmaster sent the boys a certificate of congratulations at getting a place in the school, together with all the usual stuff for the parents like school uniform lists etc. The OOC parents (with their permission), are put in a booklet showing names and addresses and this is then circulated. A good way of finding other boys from your area and supporting each other.

If you are IC I believe one of the staff visits your primary school for a transistion meeting. OOC boys are invited (with their parents) to visit the school on a set date. The boys are taken away and chatted to about life at SHSB, while the parents are left to have a drink (no gin & tonic available :lol: ) and a chat.

It all worked very smoothly and gave ample time for 'new' questions that you may have recently thought of.
Worrisome Mum wrote:Has anyone got the letter from the school? I have only got one from Suffolk county council.
Anyone who got place at SHSB please post.. As we are in Suffolk we are totally novice to Southend.
DS apprehensive of not knowing anyone and so am I as we have to relocate. It would be a good idea to know someone earlier on to calm the nerves. Also good for our DS too to know someone whom they will meet in September.
Anyone from all you good folks?
Thanks for reaching out Pleased as punch.
:)
Worrisome Mum

Post by Worrisome Mum »

Thanks for the information. Didn't know about the Induction day but now I can plan and book the day off!! Looks like we are looking at couple of visits to Southend until we move..
I am assuming they would need to be in their uniform on the Induction day? Any idea where to get it from? I know for CRGS you get it at COES (in Ipswich).
Also can anyone suggest good residential areas near the school to move so that we can a have a look around while DS is at the school?
Thanks a lot!!
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Maybe primary school uniform, but not the actual SHSB uniform until they start Y7. At CCHS, the girls wore casual clothes for the induction day.
hadenoughnow

Post by hadenoughnow »

pleased as punch wrote:Don't worry I remember it taking a little while for the paperwork to come from the school. I think they let the dust settle a bit first with so much movement happening.

The headmaster sent the boys a certificate of congratulations at getting a place in the school, together with all the usual stuff for the parents like school uniform lists etc. The OOC parents (with their permission), are put in a booklet showing names and addresses and this is then circulated. A good way of finding other boys from your area and supporting each other.

If you are IC I believe one of the staff visits your primary school for a transistion meeting. OOC boys are invited (with their parents) to visit the school on a set date. The boys are taken away and chatted to about life at SHSB, while the parents are left to have a drink (no gin & tonic available :lol: ) and a chat.

It all worked very smoothly and gave ample time for 'new' questions that you may have recently thought of.

I can't remember exactly how long it took to get the information pack through from the school but it was certainly more than a couple of weeks. We found the OOC visit really helpful indeed, both for our son to meet his fellow pupils and for us to chat with other parents. On induction day the boys just had to wear their primary school uniforms. All the information about where to get the SHSB uniform comes through in the pack and the 2 suppliers attend the parents welcome evening so you can view/buy then. Also they have a second hand uniform supplier which can be a good way of stocking up as the stuff they have is often barely worn. I have to say that the whole transition process is handled incredibly well by the school and it didn't matter that my son only knew 1 other person. From day 1 we have been incredibly pleased with the school. :D
Worrisome Mum

Post by Worrisome Mum »

Its good to know more and more people who are so happy with SHSB. Not feeling disappointed anymore for not getting CRGS..
Please can anyone suggest good residential areas closer to the school where we can move to? Sorry but have no clue about Southend and around. :(
moved

Post by moved »

We used to live just off the sea front. There are many different areas. We needed a station, a garden and opportunities to walk dogs.

Old Leigh probably has the most culture and some restaurants, but gardens are small.
Thorpe Bay has a small high street, lots of very big houses all jammed in next door to each other. It also has a couple of good places to eat on the seafront.

Think about what you need and I am sure people will help. Perhaps on a new thread.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now