Moving to Colchester

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sergy

Moving to Colchester

Post by Sergy »

Hi everyone I need advice on where to live peacefully in Colchester as my DS will be going to CRGS. I also have 7yrs old boy and wanted to be closer to a good primary school.
Any help?
Thanks
KB

Re: CRGS Aspirants 2013 and their Scores

Post by KB »

Could you provide a little more info please?
Do you or a partner need transport links to work?
Do you want to be walking distance of CRGS/ a primary school?
More delicately, can you stretch to the more pricey areas or would you prefer a better value area?
Do you know Colchester at all or are you from right outside the area?

Please do feel to answer all the questions if you'd rather not!
But any extra info would help the many knowledgable people on here to give you the best advice.
Sergy

Post by Sergy »

Hi KB
My partner will be travelling to London 3 times a week by train or by car. Walking distance of the school (primary school) and up to 4miles from CRGS will be nice. A better value area will be ideal. We don’t know Colchester, we’ve visited couple of time (the two school visits and twice last week).
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

My concern if I was moving to Colchester would be potential secondary schools for my 7 year old as back up should they not manage to pass the 11 plus (unless an Indi would be an option). If you are Catholic then St Bens is generally well respected and so you can live pretty much anywhere, if not then I would recommend you stay to the north/ west side of town. I don't want to start a controversial thread on here regarding local secondaries but am happy to offer my opinion by pm if you want.
If you are happy to be out of Colchester slightly, and bearing in mind the London Commute, then I would think Marks Tey would be good logistically but I am unable to comment on its primary schools. West Bergholt is another village possibility
KB

Post by KB »

Deep breath and ready to take cover :)
Thoughts only......

General thought is that the '4 miles' from CRGS can result in very different travelling times depending on direction.

Agree that West Bergholt primary has a long standing good reputation and there is reasonable bus service in to town and access to North Station.

Prettygate/Shrub End could be a good area within Colchester as its reasonably easy to get down to the A12 or out to Marks Tey station and some good primary schools. Gets more pricey as you move towards Lexden road.

To the West of town is Copford - did at one time have good primary school but dont know any thing about it now. Easy bus into CRGS and access to station. Slight issue is that the school is out of the village at the opposite end to the main road to Colchester so you could struggle to be an easy walk from both the school and the bus stop and the station!

Personally I would avoid Lexden (as opposed to Lexden Road).

There are villages of Fordham, Aldham etc but very poor bus service to Colchester.

Another option is Wivenhoe - close to University - decent schools and bus service but is the other side of town to CRGS and driving in is a nightmare. Decent train service . To drive to London, it takes a while to get to the A12

The catchement secondary for Wivenhoe has been up and down so at risk of being shouted down, it might not be a great future option as its difficult to predict how it will be by the time you might want it.

Stanway school is the catchment secondary for west of Colchester. Its reputation seemed to improve but I also know of friends who have moved their children away from there.

For the West side of the Town centre you would want to be in the catchment for Philip Morant. It has had a long term better reputation - possibly partly because it has a more middle class catchment area - although I dont have any recent experience of it.

I am sure you will get lots of help here - these are personal thoughts that might help, am not intending to pass judgement on any particular schools and hopefully haven't offended anyone.
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

Can this be moved to another thread?

topic split - Moderator
Sergy

Post by Sergy »

Many thank KB/Minesatea I really welcome and value your opinions.
Seriousmum... I’m sorry to have disrupted the CRGS Aspirants 2013 and their Scores thread.
Clarabelle

Re: Moving to Colchester

Post by Clarabelle »

If you take a look at the CSSE consortium contract buses list you will see which go to the GS. This may help you if you decide to live outside Colchester, perhaps for a decent primary school, and let your elder child use the bus.
Clarabelle
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now