Anyone on/tried the 5/2 diet?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
StJamesDad

Anyone on/tried the 5/2 diet?

Post by StJamesDad »

Thought I would give it a go and early results are pretty good.
Am on 2nd week and yesterday was first 'lean' day of this week.

I need to lose about 1 1/2 stone for a cycling event in Aug. I would usually just do some running, but a knee injury has ruled that out at the moment.
This seems to be a good alternative. I have found it easier to restrict food for 2 days but not worry about it the other 5, rather than be thinking of what I eat for the whole week (ie all the time).
stroudydad

Re: Anyone on/tried the 5/2 diet?

Post by stroudydad »

Hi there, I've Lost over a stone since start of year on it. :D
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Hi SD, it works for dad's then :wink:
Well done on the achievement to date.
If I managed the same reduction I should be there by the end of June, which would be perfect.
I quite like the challenge of seeing what you can eat within a 600 calorie limit, and that I do not feel like I am 'failing' the rest of the time if I eat something 'naughty'.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

I like the idea of the 5:2 diet - it's very similar to what I have committed to over the last year - fasting 2 days a week albeit for religious reasons (our Prophet used to fast every Monday and Thursday, and therefore, we are encouraged to do the same too :!: ).

Initially, I found it a bit unrealistic to stick to the 500 calorie consumption but that's because I would start my meal (open my fast) with a couple of samosas :oops:. Much more sensible now :) - as well as 2 stones less than I was in the previous year :wink: .
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

That sounds more than very similar DIY Mum, it sounds exactly the same! It's even the same days that I do :wink:

Is it possible that your prophet has just had you all on a sneaky diet?
Did you want to lose weight (as you were not doing it for weight loss reasons)? Has everyone lost weight?
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

I've been doing 5:2 since 10th January and have lost 10lbs so far. I don't have a lot to lose (starting BMI of 23) so they are mostly vanity pounds but i'm also interested in the potential long term health benefits indicated by the initial research. I'm cycling from London to Paris in June StJD so a few less lbs won't do any harm for that either :)

PS. I'm also a Monday and Thursday faster.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Have not really been doing it long enough to have decent stats yet, but weight is noticeably lower after 'lean' day, and more importantly, lower than previous lean days.

Good luck with the London-Paris bondgirl, sounds like fun :wink:
I'm doing the London-Surrey 100. Have not started any specific training yet, but want weight down to help get a good time.

The main thing I like about 5:2 is that it seems to be working without major exercise, or harsh food restrictions on the 5 days.
Went out to TGI Fridays last night and do not feel at all guilty!
Did not know there were any possible long term benifits (apart from being generally less fat). I thought people would just moan about possible problems with the calorie restriction.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

StJamesDad wrote:Is it possible that your prophet has just had you all on a sneaky diet?
Did you want to lose weight (as you were not doing it for weight loss reasons)? Has everyone lost weight?
:lol:

I mean, given the spiritual benefits of the ‘Sunnah’ fast -personally, it makes me feel more generous and positive, humble towards God and I can empathise with the poor- , I don’t rule out that fact that health benefits were also intended. 8)
Sadly, not many contemporary Muslims commit to the Sunnah fast (Mon and Thurs) regularly enough. :(

Interestingly though, I was reading some of the old accounts written by scholars many centuries ago about fasting, and they mentioned that a lot of people would fast (in addition to the spiritual reasons) for health reasons: preserves organs, a better working memory in old age, a cleaner and leaner stomach; (for men especially, who don't go through child birth, a leaner stomach is also associated with wisdom and piety! :))
One of the best type of fast they recommended was the fast of Prophet Dawoud (David) who used to fast on alternative days. But in all honesty, that is too steep for me!

In the last 6 years, I've tried to lose weight using all sorts of methods, without any real success :oops: . But I have made a commitment to the Sunnah fast and am enjoying the fact that it is helping me to lose weight too! It works well in that Monday and Thursday are convenient days.. Monday is the start to the week so easy to fast: Tues, Weds can eat as normal. Thursday, can fast again which leaves Friday, Sat and Sun to chill 8) .
cindrella

Post by cindrella »

Interesting,
How do you spread the 500 calories over 24hours??

Does the fast begin from the time you had dinner the previous day..ie say 7pm on wed, and then onThursday you have 500 cals, until friday morning breakfast..that makes it 36 hour fast.
Cinderella
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

cindrella wrote:Interesting,
How do you spread the 500 calories over 24hours??

Does the fast begin from the time you had dinner the previous day..ie say 7pm on wed, and then onThursday you have 500 cals, until friday morning breakfast..that makes it 36 hour fast.
I tend to spread it like this.
First meal starts just before sunrise. So today ate around 4am, and it was very simple: a bowl of porridge, 3 glasses of water. Then the fast begins....
At sunset, (6pm today) I will be able to have my second meal. Normally I start off with a date and a glass of water as it balances the sugar level. Also, (after I've resisted the temptation of frying samosas or pakoras), I'll follow it up with a sensible 250-300 cal meal - something similar to what's on here.

I don't know how others find it, but I don't feel hungry after that until the next morning - which is fine cos then you can eat whatever you want! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now