Help understanding test scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Candy1

Help understanding test scores

Post by Candy1 »

Hi everyone my daughter received the following Kent test scores but I'm not sure how many points she missed out on passing,I did ask the school but to be honest I find these results etc very confusing
Nvr 117
Vr 120
Maths 118
Aggregate 355
Hope someone can clear things up for me
Thanks
pheasantchick

Re: Help understanding test scores

Post by pheasantchick »

This year, you needed to achieve a minimum score of 119 of each section, and a total score of 360. Therefore, your daughter was 5 points short of a pass, and one and two points short in maths and NVR respectively.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Have a look here http://www.kent.gov.uk/education_and_le ... cores.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ernestdad

Post by Ernestdad »

Missing out by 5 points is pretty heart breaking for you and DD, as posted in link by mitasol you can't appeal against 11+ assessment but you could have appealed if you had put a grammer school down on the application form as below.

Can I appeal against my child's assessment?
No, but if you're not happy with your child's assessment you can still name a grammar school on their Common Application Form. The school will have to turn down your application, and you'll be offered a different school. After your offer letter arrives you can appeal for your child to be admitted to any school on your form The offer letter will explain how to do this.

No one can identify the qualifying scores for grammar schools selecting by test score until after applications have been processed and offers made in March
Candy1

Post by Candy1 »

Hi thanks for clearing that up,I was confused as we were told at one time that she missed out by 3 marks,but then told it was 5 marks so this makes sense now.The teachers did think our girl would pass so we were very disapointed when she didn't so we now have to go for an appeal,the silly thing is we only put two grammar schools on her form and no others so if we don't get a place we are very stuck ( I know,i know very very stupid),the other thing is her friend missed out by the same marks and is appealing the same school as well :(
We are writing our appeal letter this week so am researching what to write,our head teacher is also helping with a letter.
Fingers crossed,so worried
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Hi Candy, I share your pain as I have had a similar situation. There is loads of information here that will help you with your appeal letter though. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... lification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and you can ask for more help on the appeal board if you need it too. Good luck, fingers crossed! :-)
mystery

Post by mystery »

Candy1, make sure you do apply to some non-grammar schools that you like and appeal for them as well. Were you allocated a school that you are really unhappy with if you don't get through to grammar on appeal?
Good luck.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

the silly thing is we only put two grammar schools on her form and no others so if we don't get a place we are very stuck
Regarding that point, all is not lost: http://www.kent.gov.uk/education_and_le ... otherplace" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can I apply for a place at a school I did not name on my application form? What should I do?

From 17 April, if you live in Kent and are not happy with the school you have been offered, you can apply for a place at another Kent secondary school (not named on your original application form) by completing an extended preference form and sending it direct to the school. The extended preference form will be available to print and complete from this website on 17 April. If you are unable to print the form and would like us to send you a copy, please email kent.admissions@kent.gov.uk or telephone 0300 333 6472. If your child does not get a place at that school you will have the right of appeal and you can ask for your child’s name to be placed on the waiting list.
This gives you a second chance, after the next round of allocations (17th April), to apply for other schools that were not on your CAF, and the right to appeal for a place if they subsequently cannot admit her.
Candy1

Post by Candy1 »

Hi thanks everyone so much for the help?
We have been offered a school we definitely don't want,even the head teacher laughed when we said what school it was :(
That really helps to know we can appeal to a school we didn't put on our list,big sigh of relief :D
I'm drafting up our appeal letter,from what I've researched we have to prove that our girl is able for GS level,is 5points a close call?Also her mock SAT's were two 4a’s and a 5b and her teacher has said that she should get all 5's in May for the SAT's.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now