What happened to T.Girls proposed designated area 2014-2015?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
somum

What happened to T.Girls proposed designated area 2014-2015?

Post by somum »

I have just gone to Tiffin Girls' website to look through the proposed designated area document for 2014/15 and it seems that they have taken down the document that listed all postcodes in the proposed catchment area.

Has anyone noticed this change. I was actually trying to see if they have anything on siblings being allowed to take the exams this year.

:|
TiffinGirls

Re: What happened to T.Girls proposed designated area 2014-2

Post by TiffinGirls »

I haven't heard anything. Assume the Governors have made their decision and they will release the information shortly. I understood that it was not possible under the admissions code to prioritise siblings outside the designated area, but it is still theoretical for now.
somum

Re: What happened to T.Girls proposed designated area 2014-1

Post by somum »

TiffinGirls wrote:I haven't heard anything. Assume the Governors have made their decision and they will release the information shortly. I understood that it was not possible under the admissions code to prioritise siblings outside the designated area, but it is still theoretical for now.
Last edited by somum on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

somum wrote:
My second DD ............... might have to settle for Nonsuch or Wallington instead.
You describe this as if Nonsuch and Wallington Girls are inferior, second rate, grammars. :roll: :roll: Both are among the best grammars. Kingston parents would love to replicate their admission policies for Tiffin Schools. 52-55% places to those living within 3 to 4 mile radius would be wonderful. Tiffin would also save cost of registering and arranging for entrance tests for over 2000 children.

In response to your OP, the consultation document was taken down after the consultation period ended. Now TGS will post their Determined Admissions Arrangements, when ever approved by TGS Governors. I hope that they properly deal with the anomalies in their original proposals and not use the consultation as merely an eye wash.
somum

Post by somum »

tiffinboys wrote:
somum wrote:
My second DD ............... might have to settle for Nonsuch or Wallington instead.
You describe this as if Nonsuch and Wallington Girls are inferior, second rate, grammars. :roll: :roll: Both are among the best grammars. Kingston parents would love to replicate their admission policies for Tiffin Schools. 52-55% places to those living within 3 to 4 mile radius would be wonderful. Tiffin would also save cost of registering and arranging for entrance tests for over 2000 children.

In response to your OP, the consultation document was taken down after the consultation period ended. Now TGS will post their Determined Admissions Arrangements, when ever approved by TGS Governors. I hope that they properly deal with the anomalies in their original proposals and not use the consultation as merely an eye wash.
I am not sure what the first part of the message above means but thanks for the information. TiffinBoys. I will keep an eye out for the DAA and hope that there is good news in it for my DD.
catcool

Post by catcool »

grammar schools MUST not give priority to siblings to current or former pupils under the new School Admission Code: par 1.9 (j)
sidsid

Post by sidsid »

Somum. The way you describe it I wouldn't even try for Wally or Nonsuch, sounds like they are pretty much the pits. Shame really as they are such good schools but I guess not quite good enough? :roll:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

somum wrote: I was actually trying to see if they have anything on siblings being allowed to take the exams this year. :|
Forgive my ignorance, but do you mean that only one girl in each family is allowed to apply for entrance here? Surely if it is a fully-selective school, everyone who wants a place has to prove sufficient academic ability?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

ToadMum - some girls currently at Tiffins commute in from an area that will soon be outside the catchment / priority area. As a result their younger sisters are highly unlikely to get a place at Tiffins in future years.

There is nothing to stop people (including younger sisters of current pupils) outside catchment sitting the test but, the way the admissions priorities are ordered, their chances of being offered a place will be practically zero even if they score full marks.

Sisters cannot be given special treatment or priority access to a place. As such any sisters living outside the designated area will almost certainly not gain entry to the school.
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

tiffinboys wrote:
somum wrote:
You describe this as if Nonsuch and Wallington Girls are inferior, second rate, grammars. :roll: :roll:
No she didn't. She will have to "settle" for N or W because she would prefer her DD2 to go to the same school as DD1 - for obvious reasons. I read no aspersions cast upon the other schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now