is this fair or legal?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
perplexed

is this fair or legal?

Post by perplexed »

I live in Kent, but may possibly take up places for my two daughters at state primary schools in West Sussex or Surrey, or in the independent sector.

I understand that children who attend a Kent primary school sit the four Kent 11+ tests (Maths, NVR, VR and writing task) spaced over two days. But children who attend some independent schools, or primary schools outside Kent, have to do all four papers on the same day.

I feel that it places a primary child at a disadvantage to sit all four papers on the same day, in comparison with those who are allowed to spread it over two days. The grammar school I am particularly interested in is Tonbridge Grammar School for girls which currently selects according to 11+ score. A very slight disadvantage and marginally lower score can make a huge difference in one's chances of admission to this school.

I understand that there is a list of "linked independent schools" where it is possible to sit the test over two days.

Do you feel that it is fair to treat children attending Kent state primaries preferentially to some other categories of candidate, and does anyone know if it is legal?

Also, does anyone have:

the list of "linked independent schools"

any knowledge of whether a non-linked independent school could get itself "linked"

any knowledge of whether it is possible for a state primary school outside Kent to become linked? If they can't, is this fair or legal?

with thanks

Post by Guest »

You live in Kent. If you are planning to send your daughter to a primary school in another county or in the private sector it is presumably because you think that there is some educational advantage to her in doing so. Is this fair to the children at your local (Kent) school? Is it fair that some primaries are better than others? Is it fair that in and out of area candidates at TGS need different scores to gain a place?

I do see your point but think that in the scheme of things this is pretty minor. Bear in mind, also, that children sitting the tests in school in Kent don't just take the rest of the day off to recuperate. The tests are slotted into the normal school day (and usually conducted against a backdrop of bells, playtime and other normal school noises...)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now