Talking level 6 criteria

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
debs2028

Talking level 6 criteria

Post by debs2028 »

I do not want to get into a conversation into whether the level 6 sats paper is appropriate. What I want to know does anyone know that if a child fails the paper the teacher entering has to prove that the child was at a stage to take the test in the first place , so at level 5 a rather than 5 b
Thanks
Guest55

Re: Talking level 6 criteria

Post by Guest55 »

The DfE guidance says the pupil should be working above level 5.
moved

Post by moved »

No one has to prove anything. The test is available to all the pupils that a school choose to enter. 2012 was the first year and many schools either didn't enter their pupils because they weren't sure of the standard or entered all of their L5 pupils to see what happened.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Does anyone know why the Level 6 tests have been reintroduced in the last couple of years?
moved

Post by moved »

A new political party.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

It is the piece of work which is awarded a level, and this can fluctuate, depending on the quality. Of course the same student might be awarded a level 5a for one piece and a 5b for something else. So what would be proved, other than the child was working at Level 5? Nothing. That is why whole levels and not sub-levels are awarded at the end of the key stage. As has been mentioned, the student should be working above Level 5. And that's it.

The sooner these levels go, the better, in my opinion.
Hera

Post by Hera »

What I didn't realise was that with the English tests you get given a level for each individual paper. So you could in theory get a level 6 for comprehension but a 5 for grammar. Also there is no written essay for either the level 5 or level 6 papers, however the kids are given a teacher assessment mark for the writing. Would they assess that on one specific piece of work or on work done over the year? If I have understood this wrongly could someone put me straight? Thanks.
Hera

Post by Hera »

That is why whole levels and not sub-levels are awarded at the end of the key stage
Kingfisher does this mean that the results we get at the end of the year will only state level 4,5 or 6 for Key Stage 2 or will parents have these results broken down into sub levels like was done at the end of key stage 1?
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Bel, in 2011 my DS's KS2 SATs results did not state any sub-level.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Confused again :roll: I've definitely had it said to me DD shall be given her level including the sub level at end of KS2 :?:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now