Standardised scores in s. west Herts consortium

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

preacher

Standardised scores in s. west Herts consortium

Post by preacher »

Hi I am looking for a process where to take the raw scores from past paper test marks and convert them into a standardised score out of 280. Any advice. Thanks
3b1g

Re: Standardised scores in s. west Herts consortium

Post by 3b1g »

I'm not sure there's a way to do this. Unless you know what the average score is that children the same age as your DC get on those particular practice papers. To give you some idea though, DS2 was getting around 95% on practice papers (Athey, Alpha, GL assessment etc) and he got in the low 260s as his standardised score in the actual test. If you could get lots of other people on here to share similar info then you might be able to build up a scattergraph.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

This is a tricky one and there were numerous posts on this subject last October. In order to accurately convert you need to know the average mark of the cohort. If the average is high e.g. because of a straightforward maths paper, then generally an individual score might look low. As an example, my ds scored almost exactly the same in VR and Maths papers on percentage scores last year, but there was a difference of 16 points in his 2 standardised scores.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Thanks to some people who have found out their children's raw scores, we now have slightly more information on this. It is my opinion that a mark of at least 47/50 on the Maths paper would give a standardised score of over 120 for the Maths. A child born in November who got 82% in the VR paper might get a score of 121 on the VR. The total standardised score would then be something above 240.

So if you want a standardised score in the mid-240s, I would be aiming for at least 85% on VR papers and over 95% on Maths papers, assuming that the papers you are using are of a similar difficulty to the ones used in the test.