Burgled

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Belinda

Burgled

Post by Belinda »

Not the first, and not the last. :(

Just a reminder that cheap uni housing in cities does attract unwanted attention. All laptops stolen, amongst other things. :( One poor girl was in (alone) at the time (midnight) :shock: and locked herself in her bedroom only to have the burglar try and kick her door down. Terrified. She didn't know they were only after her laptop etc. The police had to use a crow bar to get her out of her room as the door was jammed; the thug had kicked so hard trying to get in!

Anyway, the point is, it does happen unfortunately so please remind your university DD's and DS's to back up their work often and to think about what personal info they have on their word docs etc. One girl in DD's house had created a word document with all her passwords on it! Tell them not to have 'save password' for their various accounts. :roll:

You can't stop a determined burglar but encourage DD's and DS's to make it as difficult for the scumbags as they can. Remind them to think about their security and take steps to keep them and their property as safe as possible.

I know we tell them, and university tells them but... they need reminding.

This is just another reminder!
:D
Snowdrops

Re: Burgled

Post by Snowdrops »

Unfortunately my son was burgled too when he was in uni. Not as much was taken (15 years ago before it was the 'norm' for mobiles and laptops), a good quality digital camera, a few hoodies and some loose change, it was very much an opportunist thief. Son had been in his downstairs bedroom, window open an inch, others in the house, he popped out for literally 10 minutes, got back and his stuff was gone :roll:

Fortunately he was insured, but it's the emotional toll it takes that's worse. He did go on to become a policeman, one wonders if the two are connected.

It DOES happen, and all too frequently, because the thieves know how inexperienced they are and thus are very easy pickings!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I remember a college friend with the front downstairs bedroom waking up to see someone climbing in through her window :shock: . None of us left any windows open after that
Y

Post by Y »

There are online cloud services available that will back up your work as you go. Some are free. I use Sugar Sync. As belt-and-braces, particularly important pieces of work can be emailed to oneself (assuming you have an online hosted account!) or to a family member.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now