Tiffin Girls -- 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SlackerMum

Tiffin Girls -- 2014

Post by SlackerMum »

We are just this week starting tutoring so I haven't got very many questions (yet). Anyone want to join me?

Just wondered, for those of you who have tutoring well under way, how much time do you spend on the homework? And how many tutoring sessions do you have per week?

Thanks.
tiffinboys

Re: Tiffin Girls -- 2014

Post by tiffinboys »

We don't have DC preparing for TGS 2014. I am responding only as no one has so far, despite over 100 hits.

Answers to your questions would not be of much help. These may vary from 'Not much - DC is super bright' to '3 tutors - 4 hours a day, extra work on week-ends and holidays'. And these responses would not matter much, as you have to decide with your kid in mind. How bright is she, what is her attitude to extra work, how quickly she grasp the VR/NVR techniques, how strong is she in English/Maths etc. etc.

In my view, DIYing - if possible - is the best and even if you hire a tutor, you have to be involved. You can't leave it on tutor alone. Good luck to you and your DD.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Our daughter has just got in for 2013 entry.

As a guide she did tutoring, hour and a half for a week (term times) and was given about 60-90 mins of exercises to do at home each week (mainly VR or NVR tests for home). About 5 hours test practice was set each school holiday and half term. There was a couple of extra tutor sessions towards the end of the summer holidays ready for Sept exams, and 3 extra sessions for the girls in Oct where they concentrated on story writing (introduction, being descriptive and concluding part respectively). Tutoring started in Nov so probably did about 35 sessions in total.

Obviously its now Mid March so would have been done about 40% her tutoring by now. If your DD is just starting you probably need to have some serious test practice during Easter holidays and factor in practicing during Summer holidays as well.

Everyone is different, so your DD might need different amount. Ultimately you have to get good at VR and NVR papers, because if you dont you wont reach the 450th person cut off and wont even get a chance to sit the English and Maths. The cutoffs are tough, there is a girl at my daughters school who would have easily got in on old VR/NVR only as she was many marks above stage 1 cut-off, but is currently on waiting list as she is August born and new system doesn't age weight final marks.

Whatever you do in way of preparation, exam practice is the key, your DD needs to be able to just sit another test and score well, not panic on exam day
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Also see

1. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=29647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=30178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bridge

Post by bridge »

Can I ask, what do the Tutors actually teach? Is it just going through exam papers? Or do they give tips and hints for answering questions?
I have a little while yet before I need to be concerned about this but was just curious. For VR and NVR I would prefer to teach myself. If English & Maths tests become the norm then I might consider the tutor route, but this would only be after I had checked the available material to see what is required.

Clearly I appreciate different children require different techniques of teaching.
SlackerMum

Post by SlackerMum »

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do realise we are a bit behind. So back from first tutor session tonight. She had a great time and is looking forward to tomorrow. Helps that one of her best mates from school happens to be there.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

The open Evening is before the summer holidays on Tuesday 9th July from 4:30 - 7:30
Put the date in your diary as there are no alternative dates.

http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/open-evening" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If driving, I wouldn't recommend using Kingston town centre car parks, they are a good 10-15 minutes walk, unrestricted (free) spaces are usually available in the roads to the North of the school around Cardinal Avenue and Horsley Drive. Alternatively slightly further Latchmere Lane and Northweald Lane always have loads of spaces.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

In my view, it is very useful to visit schools in year 4 if these open days are held just before summer holidays. Preparation can then be focused during year 5 on the short-listed schools and it also motivates children if they really like some school and want to go there.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now