NFER How many question types?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

izzywizz

NFER How many question types?

Post by izzywizz »

Hi Patricia or anyone who may be able to help.
Just found out that the exam board is NFER. We live in Lancashire and I am using the IPS book from this site. I wonder if you know how many question types they use here in Lancashire 15 , 21 or do the NFER use more in different areas? One exam in less than two weeks :shock: next one in November :( My daughter has an endless stream of homework from her teacher and we are finding it hard to fit any revision in! I don't want to be going through more types than we need to so any info would be great :)

She has been very reluctant to do much revision until last night, is now really
keen. Why? We went to our 100% chance of admission(local failing school) open evening. :lol: She has now seen the alternative and wanted to start to revise as soon as we got home :lol: :lol: However she has left it a little late and I am concerned that we are not covering the right question types :cry:

Oh she also has english and maths tests aswell at both schools!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Izzywhizz

Is it standard or multiple choice?

If its standard NFER then its not 15 or 21, they throw in extra types, like anagrams, word grids and different types of codes.

If its M/C unfortunately, I couldn't tell you whether its 15 or 21...

Patricia
izzywizz

Post by izzywizz »

YoYo.

Thank you anyway, but it does't mention Lancashire. I've read somewhere on this forum that there can be up to 35 different types of questions. I have IPS but they only go to 21 types, not sure where to find the other types? One of the sample questions is : Multiply the first figure by the sum of the last two figures

12, 4, 2.

Is this a 21 type question? I don't recognise it.

Any help would be fab :)
izzywizz

Post by izzywizz »

Patricia.

Thank you for the info. Don't know if its standard or multiple choice, I know for the english and maths they use an EDPAC answer sheet . I think they use the same for verbal reasoning! Any help?
Driscol

Post by Driscol »

Depends on the individual LEA on how many types of question are present on the test.

Your LEA should provide you with this information if you contact them.

For example the Warwickshire Tests this year are 2 standard format NFER VR tests with ONLY 14 different types of question on each of the 2 VR tests.

I have also been advised that all the questions are covered in the NFER practise tests 11A-11D.

Patricia's earlier comment on this thread:

"If its standard NFER then its not 15 or 21, they throw in extra types, like anagrams, word grids and different types of codes."

...has now made me panic a bit and hope not to be true for Warwickshire.

I find it totally ridiculous why it is so difficult to find out "what types" of question are going to be present on an exam. We are not asking for the actual questions just the types.

With hindsight probably best to prepare early for these exams and practise all 40 or so types. Probably would need about 6 month's I think.

In reality we have got 2 weeks until the exam and one of these weeks is being spent on his yearly school outward bound trip.

Perfect Timing !
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Driscol

Probably used the wrong word 'extra'

Should have said, standard form can use 'different' types like anagrams, word grids and a variation on codes, ie these do not come up in M/C NFER. Unsure of the actual amount of types.

Lincs use Nfer standard form, they have reported these different types.

viewtopic.php?t=589

Patricia

Out of interest where does the information stating Warks uses 14 different types come from?
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I called the Warwickshire Admissions Service last week, because they have sent a copy of a "shop-bought" NFER paper as the practice paper for the Warwickshire 11+. This was a little disappointing, since there are only 4 NFER standard papers on the market anyway and this is one of them! I asked about the 21/15 question types and they said there would only be 14 question types. I wondered whether I had mis-heard, but it looks as if I'm not the only one being told this.

By the way, the paper has a note stuck on it saying there will be 80 questions in 50 minutes, not 85 (as in the practice paper!).
Driscol

Post by Driscol »

Warks Mum

I was also not happy that the familiarisation pack only contained 1 of the 4 papers already available from the NFER practise papers.

Yes also advised there are only the 14 types of Q's.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now