A child peaks early

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
METINSOLO

A child peaks early

Post by METINSOLO »

Hello everyone
We are preparing for September exams and i am worried that my DC might have peaked too early as several times it has been mention that parents need to becareful DCs do not peak too early. What i would like to know is how do you know and if this happens is there anything one can do about it?
Thanks for your help
scarlett

Re: A child peaks early

Post by scarlett »

I'm not sure about peaking too early, but I think burn out is the one that has been mentioned on here. Sometimes, when the child is doing so much work early on, they can just get fed up and a bit emotional. My ds2 did get rather fed up and his marks would drop which of course sent me in a panic and I probably made things worse by then giving him more work and panicking him. It is a delicate business. Slow and steady, lots praise and fun times too is the key. What problems are you having?
mystery

Post by mystery »

I'm not sure my children will ever peak. I've been feeling a bit peaky though.

Sorry that probably wasn't much help. I think Scarlett's explained it well --- child might just get bored and not want to practise closer to the time. And if time is of the essence in the test and practising really does make a difference, then that could be a disadvantage. But that's a lot of if's. I'd say if a child did peak, hopefully they'll peak again on the day!

It's maybe something parents say at the school gates to put off the competition - "we're not doing anything in case we peak too early". They put parents off starting and meanwhile they're doing 60 Bond books a day? Just a thought from the conspiracy theorist of Kent.

It's something I say to myself to put off the guilt about not exercising - I don't want to peak too soon in case I wear knees out before I'm 90 (I'm 80).
METINSOLO

Post by METINSOLO »

Hi scarlett
Thank you for your reply. I think that might be what i am experiencing with DC. The problem is that previously when we started i would say up to December/January he was eager/motivated and want to do the work, but now he is sluggish lacks motivation and something he could have completed in good timing and most likely all correct now takes him forever and get quite a lot wrong. My worry is if we take it easy he might fall behind.

Mystery, thanks i hope you are right that he will hopefully peak again closer to the time. A parent also mention this to me and has been playing on my mind. 'conspiracy theorist of Kent' :wink: .

'I don't want to peak too soon in case I wear knees out before I'm 90 (I'm 80)' :lol:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

It all sounds normal and I found with ds2, who was the least amenable when it came to the 11 plus, I had to work out a timetable with set days for working, a day for having friends over etc and that seemed to perk him up. After a worrying day I would really have to fight the urge not to bring out the big suitcase full of papers and give him one after the other...to make myself feel better.....it wouldn't have done much for him. Don't worry about peaking early...just make sure it's not all work, work., work..they're only young after all and perhaps make sure he can see the end to all of this and that it's all for the greater good?!

Mystery....there's always the old bath chair if it becomes too much. I'm sure dd won't be too embarrassed wheeling you about in the playground.
METINSOLO

Post by METINSOLO »

Thank you Scarlett. I feel a lot better as i just did not know what to do. It is true with this process we can sometimes forget that they are only children. I will take your advice and also i will take the idea of a timetable and draw one up. DC has been asking me to do a timetable so i think it is about time i get one done.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

What about the ten minute Bond books or Bond online? That seemed to go down better with my ds or work through some questions together so he feels he's getting a bit of special one to one?
METINSOLO

Post by METINSOLO »

Hi scarlett
Thanks for that. I have eased off and now doing more 10 minutes and ds seems to have a better attitude and i have also done a timetable now he feels more organise. I have not used the online bond but will try it. Thank you
mystery

Post by mystery »

Another happy customer Scarlett! :D Must PM you. Hope everything OK.
Beckii330

Post by Beckii330 »

Our journey was all a bit mad and haphazard. I didn't really have a timetable or a plan and it was a bit of a mess tbh. My next son is only 6 but if he is bright enough, I will certainly plan it more, and not be so focused. It stressed my son out and it stressed me out - I think the previous OP got it right, a few 10 minute papers to lessen the load is a good idea.