Mobile phone....which one?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

countrymum

Mobile phone....which one?

Post by countrymum »

DD has an iPod, but obviously can't ring/message when out and about. Am searching for a suitable phone for her when she starts secondary, shall possibly be using public transport so definitely need that contact.

Am a bit lost on what sort to get. Any suggestions, what do your DC's have? Certainly won't be an iphone or anything very expensive. Internet access maybe but doesn't have to do anything much more than ring/text/email.

Think she would quite like a white colour option.
hermanmunster

Re: Mobile phone....which one?

Post by hermanmunster »

best to get something cheap and PAYG - less problem if gets lost
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Loads of basic phones available at a cheap price with payg contracts. Most big supermarkets sell them these days. My DD has one on the same network as us so she can ring and text us for free even when she has no credit. She doesn't use it much ATM, but will when she starts secondary. The only reason she has it already is because I got a new phone and she got my old one when she was staying with my parents over the summer. Free calls when she was away rather than use my mums phone which would cost her.
Don't know if I can mention the network though.

What ever you get you can be sure they will understand howmtomuse it far better than you ever will :lol:
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks Hermanmunster, I agree PAYG is the best option. I see all these 'free' phones but of course have the rolling contract and don't really want to get into all that.

Thanks Tinks, I shall check out the supermarkets and have a good look. Some of her friends have blackberry's and I have no idea how these work (am an iphone user myself) but isn't 11/12 a bit young for a blackberry, or am I not 'with it'.

Out of interest (and something I don't think DD has encountered at primary) but is there peer pressure to have the 'right phone' at secondary. I know having 'the right' school bag counts sometimes :shock:

Think i'll keep her at primary a bit longer, getting very emotional already :cry: (in a I know you need to spread your wings but want to keep you as my baby kind of way)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

We use giffgaff. £5/month for unlimited texts but no calLs or Internet - but you can put money on for calls if needed, and calls to other giffgaff users are free, or £10/month for unlimited texts, 240 mins of calls & Internet. Ours have second hand phones from us or bargain smartphones like the San Francisco.

There is some pressure over having the right phone - I can't believe how many children have brand new iPhone 5s, but I'm afraid it's just not going to happen here!
scary mum
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

DD has a simple PAYG nokia 100 bought from a supermarket where every little helps. :wink:

They offer free credit if you top up by set amounts. With the £10 we topped up in october she still has £6.50. :mrgreen:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

re the pressure to have the "right" phone - DCs have mentioned that it tends to be a particular group of kids who are trying to prove something by having these things - if necessary you can agree a sum to be spent on the phone + other things, if the phone is too expensive then there won;t be an other goodies...

.. other option is to have retro kids like mine who would rather have Image
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

scary mum wrote:We use giffgaff. £5/month for unlimited texts but no calLs or Internet - but you can put money on for calls if needed, and calls to other giffgaff users are free, or £10/month for unlimited texts, 240 mins of calls & Internet. Ours have second hand phones from us or bargain smartphones like the San Francisco.

There is some pressure over having the right phone - I can't believe how many children have brand new iPhone 5s, but I'm afraid it's just not going to happen here!
Thanks for that, shall enquire. Goodness yes, certainly not not going down the iphone route!!!! Each to their own but feel quite strongly is not appropriate for my child even if had all the money in the world!
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thingsbehindthesun wrote:DD has a simple PAYG nokia 100 bought from a supermarket where every little helps. :wink:

They offer free credit if you top up by set amounts. With the £10 we topped up in october she still has £6.50. :mrgreen:
Thanks for that, wow at the credit!! :mrgreen: indeed
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

hermanmunster wrote:re the pressure to have the "right" phone - DCs have mentioned that it tends to be a particular group of kids who are trying to prove something by having these things - if necessary you can agree a sum to be spent on the phone + other things, if the phone is too expensive then there won;t be an other goodies...

.. other option is to have retro kids like mine who would rather have Image
Oh Herm, I love it!! I have seen those handsets and have been very tempted myself :wink: We have an old GPO telephone at home, I smile every time it rings!! Annoying when calling the bank though, 'press key 2 for....' :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now