International Baccalaureate.

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catherine

International Baccalaureate.

Post by Catherine »

We had a newsletter from my son's school recently saying that the IB is highly regarded by top universities, and particularly good for the most competitive subjects. From what I have read, it also requires more work than A levels.
The school is encouraging students to chose the IB route, and I was wondering if anyone had some insider knowledge, or just any opinion about it.
solimum not logged in

IB

Post by solimum not logged in »

I looked at it when my son was approaching A Level decision time. I've no doubt it suits some children who don't know yet where their main strengths lie or have a broad range of interests - I like the idea of those Arts-leaning pupils having kept up some more maths & science! However my son would have found it difficult to squeeze himself into the IB structure- he wanted to do Maths & Science A levels, plus Music, and the IB would have given him not enough Maths and far too much English! Keeping the foreign language would have been useful, although he has done a German module within General Studies. So it's worth considering, but by no means an automatic choice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now