CEM Exam and SEN issues...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

CEM Exam and SEN issues...

Post by DIY Mum »

Does anyone know of anyone (either through personal experience or knows of a dc) who has been assessed with 'mild dyslexia,' and has been given extra time for the 11+ exam? Does the KEF grant extra time for candidates in this situation or is it just for those with strong symptoms?

If anyone knows of an educational psychologist in South B'ham area, could you please send me a pm (with quotes if possible)?

Thanks in advance.
mike1880

Re: CEM Exam and SEN issues...

Post by mike1880 »

From what little I know, the chances are not good. A few years ago a dazzlingly clever child of an acquaintance was refused extra time although quite severely dyslexic, and didn't qualify. You can but try though.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

I work in a school where the 11 plus is taken. Provided the requirement for extra time is mentioned on your DC's educational psychologist's report, it is always facilitated.

Finding an educational psychologist should not be difficult. I assume your Dc is in Year 5 currently. Your school SENCo might be a starting point or you can simply look up on the Internet for people local to you.
nostress

Post by nostress »

Kingfisher is wrong they do refuse special arrangements even with supporting literature. I had 2 x ed psych reports, two years apart & also occupational therapist report for my DS. He was refused. He performed ok but literally left out pages and pages of questions he didn't get chance to look at.

He was also refused at Bromsgrove school who said "extra time is not allowable for NFER standardised tests"... I rang NFER who said this was wrong and extra time is allowable if you have the documents to support it. I rang the school who finally agreed. My DS didnt get an offer though yet several boys who performed less well at my son's primary school did. I can only assume he was discriminated agaisnt because of his disability. "normal" kids being less hassle. I wish I'd never said anything as he performs above average without extra time.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

That matches my perceptions. Child I was speaking of had copious supporting evidence, parents being in the medical profession themselves.

I also know of a child with special needs who was refused entry to Bromsgrove, despite two older brothers attending and being held up as examplars by the school. I have the impression that it's a school that prefers not to deal with special needs if it can possibly avoid it.

Mike
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Thanks for the replies and pms.
nostress wrote:they do refuse special arrangements even with supporting literature. I had 2 x ed psych reports, two years apart & also occupational therapist report for my DS. He was refused. He performed ok but literally left out pages and pages of questions he didn't get chance to look at.
A tutor/friend stated the same: one of her students was strongly dyslexic whilst the other was dyslexic with Asperger's Syndrome- neither were granted extra time. It is as if the KEF are trying to say that a GS is only suitable for those dyslexic pupils who can get into a kegs without the time concessions given.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Dd2 is diabetic, I was told if she was ill in the exam and had to leave for 5 minutes she would not be allowed an extra 5 minutes ... but I suppose that is different, if rather unfair. Or maybe that is just Warwickshire's rules.

Good luck!
DIY Mum

Post by DIY Mum »

Well, I think it is rather unfair that concessions aren't given for those students who need them.

The CEM exam, even for the 'normal' child is tough- let alone for a dyslexic child where normally spelling, speed and mental processing of information, word problems are an issue. Surely, extra time should be allocated. Clearly, as in nostress' situation, the dc are bright but are penalized against. :(
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

I'm sure we had a parent on here who was granted extra time a couple of years ago? Just can't rem the lady's name.. Her DD got into KEHS.. Hope she reads this post and replies.

DIYmom, I'd say with mild dyslexia it's unlikely :-(, you should definitely try though!
ginx

Post by ginx »

Always worth a try, DIYmum. You are right, it isn't fair.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now