Kent appeal question

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Villagedad

Kent appeal question

Post by Villagedad »

Hi Etienne

Not sure if this is a catch all for quick Kent queries or just for the starter of the thread, happy to post a new request if the latter.

Any tips to overcome a head teachers support letter that isn't actually very supportive i.e. no "thrive at grammar" and other really positive statements - just the facts etc..?

Is it best to say nothing in your written submission but then if asked say something about it's school policy only to state the facts i.e. predicted grades etc.?

I have some extenuating circumstances I would like to run past you privately - what's the best way to get them to you for your comment?

Many thanks
Villagedad
mystery

Re: Quick appeals questions for Kent

Post by mystery »

Good luck Villagedad. Maybe the panel will know that your head is a dry old stick.
mitasol

Re: Villagedad Kent

Post by mitasol »

Villagedad wrote: Not sure if this is a catch all for quick Kent queries .
It is important to stick to your own thread so I've moved and merged your posts.

Please stick to one thread for everything to do with your own case: it can be your personal “Q&A section” from now on. Please do not start a new thread each time you post about your appeal as it helps us to have all the information in one place.
[See "Announcement: Please read this before you post"]
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=8255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Villagedad

Re: Villagedad Kent

Post by Villagedad »

mitasol wrote:
Villagedad wrote: Not sure if this is a catch all for quick Kent queries .
It is important to stick to your own thread so I've moved and merged your posts.

Please stick to one thread for everything to do with your own case: it can be your personal “Q&A section” from now on. Please do not start a new thread each time you post about your appeal as it helps us to have all the information in one place.
[See "Announcement: Please read this before you post"]
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=8255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you mitasol. Please could this thread be renamed 'Kent appeal question' rather than 'Villagedad Kent'. Please could you then delete the threads back to my original question below. Many thanks, Villagedad

Hi Etienne

Do you have any tips to overcome a head teachers support letter that isn't actually very supportive i.e. no "thrive at grammar" and other really positive statements - just the facts etc..?

Is it best to say nothing in your written submission but then if asked say something about it's school policy only to state the facts i.e. predicted grades etc.?

I have some extenuating circumstances I would like to run past you privately - what's the best way to get them to you for your comment?

Many thanks
Villagedad
Etienne

Re: Kent appeal question

Post by Etienne »

Yes - but I think you'll probably have to take the initiative (in your presentation).
The panel will almost certainly note the omission, but not necessarily question it.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Etienne wrote:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9907" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Etienne, I have just sent an email to the Appeals Box address.

Thank you
Villagedad
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi Village Dad

I think it's much too long (especially when you have only one mark to explain).

No need to jettison all the ammunition at your disposal, but I would recommend:
• a brief introduction,
• concise points - (a) to (d)
• brief conclusion

Introduction: this could be shortened to "We have no wish to make 'excuses', but hope the panel will take into account a number of extenuating circumstances."

(a) I would rename this "Incident in test", and strongly advise taking out anything accusatory - however justified! Just give the panel the facts and the evidence. If the headteacher has written "possible maladministration" anywhere, that's all right because it's her professional opinion, and part of the evidence - but you yourself should keep to the facts and avoid assertions (unless asked at the hearing for your opinion). I suggest avoiding words like "maladministration", "disturbed", "persistent", "made him" or anything that suggests blame.

All that's needed is a very brief explanation + reference to appendix.

You're more likely to 'win over' the panel if you come across as a very reasonable parent.

(b) looks all right

(c) I would prune this radically! Just provide the link, and say "We were affected by the stress of this, and can explain why at the hearing."

(d) (i) and (ii) It should be sufficient just to refer to the appendix.

We hope the panel might accept that, but for these circumstances, X would not only have achieved the extra mark needed, but would have achieved an even better overall score.

It's not what you write that matters - it's evidence.

If the panel want to know more, they will ask.
Etienne
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Etienne wrote:Hi Village Dad

I think it's much too long (especially when you have only one mark to explain).

No need to jettison all the ammunition at your disposal, but I would recommend:
• a brief introduction,
• concise points - (a) to (d)
• brief conclusion
Many thanks for your thoughts Etienne, much appreciated

I will send you later this morning an email to the box on evidence for the academic ability section of the appeal.

Best regards
Villagedad
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Villagedad wrote:I will send you later this morning an email to the box on evidence for the academic ability section of the appeal.

Best regards
Villagedad
Thanks Etienne, I have just sent an email to the Appeals Box address.

Thank you
Villagedad
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think I would focus on the area where the 11+ result was a problem.

If there's lots of evidence of very high overall ability, I would usually suggest including that too.

However, the results achieved by your DC in the other papers were outstanding, so in your particular case I think I would concentrate on:
  • • the area that the panel will be concerned about
    • reasons for wanting a place at this particular school
You could try explaining to the head what your strategy is going to be, and suggest it would be helpful if she is willing to tailor her support accordingly!

What you've written looks fine.

As a precaution I would take to the hearing any suitable evidence of high overall ability, e.g. year 5 report (if it's good), KS2 predictions - but I wouldn't present any of it unless the panel start asking questions that lead you to think they want something 'more'!
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now