Calling any non sporty, geeky Judd boys!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Gentiene

Calling any non sporty, geeky Judd boys!

Post by Gentiene »

Hi, my son is going to Judd in September. To be frank, he's a really lovely boy, but not sporty at all apart from skiing which won't help much and the very occasional bit of cricket. He's a bit shy, built like a bit of string and (if I'm honest) a bit geeky :lol: but a whizz at making movies, online games and has a great sense of humour.

He won't know anyone going to the school, and I wondered if anyone else has a like minded son who, would like a geeky meet up?

Thanks! :D
pheasantchick

Re: Calling any non sporty, geeky Judd boys!

Post by pheasantchick »

Judd do some induction days prior to starting in September, so you will get to meet other boys (and parents) then. Also, some of the JPA areas organise events for future year 7 boys as well.
Gentiene

Post by Gentiene »

Great thanks for the info :-)
West Kent Mum

Post by West Kent Mum »

I was quite impressed by the way Judd tried to facilitate friendships among the boys - usually+40% of the boys are the only one from his primary school.

There was one introduction evening for parents + boys in May, when the boys were whisked off to spend some time with their new class mates. Then they had an induction day in July and finally an over-night team building trip the second week of term. Moreover the local JPA organised a get together in July as well.

I am sure your boy will have found some friends well before September!
Gentiene

Post by Gentiene »

Thanks WK Mum, that makes me feel better. Sounds like they have a well trodden process for building friendships :)
CoffeeCup

Post by CoffeeCup »

That's my son too! Just heard he'll be in Lewin. 90% geek 10% sporty!

Is there a Judd starters thread? I am in touch with another parent from this forum with a judd 2013 starter but know no one else!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I'm a year 8 Judd mum if you have any questions.
CoffeeCup

Post by CoffeeCup »

thanks pheasantchick. Can you tell me about the pre-rugby meet? And also the PTA football fiesta? I cant see my son being interested in either, but obviously he needs to meet people and make friends...

Thanks
West Kent Mum

Post by West Kent Mum »

My son is in Y7 at Judd. Football fiesta was great fun if DS likes football. If I recall correctly about 50-60% of the future Y7 boys showed up so it is not a must.

The pre-term rugby sessions last year was not for Y7, but for older children. Maybe that has changed this year? All boys need to play rugby in Y7, so it can be a good idea to at least get an idea of the rules before. Even if your DS is not sporty, he might enjoy it more if he is a little familiar with the game.

I am sure your boy will enjoy Judd and find plenty of like-minded boys!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

The football fiesta is good fun and a chance for the boys ( and parents) to meet each other. Basically, the boys are put into teams within their houses, and they they play against each other. It doesn't really matter if they play football or not - the idea is to meet each other. The PTA also have a few stalls, BBQ, cake stall etc.

I don't know about the rugby event. My son doesn't like rugby so never joined the afterschool rugby club. There is quite a lot of rugby at the start, but my son said it wasn't too bad as they start from basics for those who have never played it before. He won't be the only non- sporty lad there.

(Last year I helped on the cake sale, so if I do that again this year, i may actually meet you!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now