Study time for AS exams

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Moonlight

Study time for AS exams

Post by Moonlight »

DD is currently revising for her AS exams next month. She is studying three subjects, Eng lit, economics and geography. I am wondering how long she should be revising for each day. Is two hours per subject too much or one hour too little? She knows she has a lot to do but is worried she will 'peak' too soon and forget it all nearer the time. Any advice would be really appreciated.
scary mum

Re: Study time for AS exams

Post by scary mum »

I think it will depend on her. Did she do any modules in January? My DD is doing much more than that (well, it appears so :D ) but she needs to! She is doing 3, but also retaking 2 modules.
scary mum
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

We are in a similar boat with May AS exams in chem,bio,maths and econ. Only one exam taken early, so at thee current rate of progress DS1 will peak by xmas. :lol:

Yesterday introduced the ten minute timer, toddler training, ten mins work then ten mins play.

He has such a methodical, time consuming method of revising, very efficient and effective but not enough time or motivation available.

Compounded by a late realisiation that for one chem teacher he hasn't made the weekly notes, so he is having to learn not revise.

My attempts at motivation are not well received, last night in frustration and to encourage an early night and an early start I disconnected the wireless and wired routers............today has been better. :lol:
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

scary mum wrote: My DD is doing much more than that (well, it appears so :D ) but she needs to!
Now you have me worried reading this! How much revision is she doing per day?

My DD has not sat any modules. All of her exams are in May.
stevew61 wrote:We are in a similar boat with May AS exams in chem,bio,maths and econ. Only one exam taken early, so at thee current rate of progress DS1 will peak by xmas. :lol:

Yesterday introduced the ten minute timer, toddler training, ten mins work then ten mins play.

He has such a methodical, time consuming method of revising, very efficient and effective but not enough time or motivation available.

Compounded by a late realisiation that for one chem teacher he hasn't made the weekly notes, so he is having to learn not revise.

My attempts at motivation are not well received, last night in frustration and to encourage an early night and an early start I disconnected the wireless and wired routers............today has been better. :lol:
Your post has really made me laugh. I love the toddler training idea! :lol:

I feel that I am treading a fine line between being supportive and nagging. I just don't want DD to be disappointed come August and have to think of possible re-sits as well as A2 exams.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

And any resits will have to be in June 2014 ..

Two hours a day sounds about right but it is quality not quantity. Use past papers and the syllabus to check everything has been covered.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Guest55 wrote:And any resits will have to be in June 2014 ..

Two hours a day sounds about right but it is quality not quantity. Use past papers and the syllabus to check everything has been covered.
Ditto. :D

Use the syllabus and past papers, examiners reports etc. to aid revision. For many subjects exam technique is very important. Make sure DC know how to answer questions. They should know their AO's etc.
Strange as it seems... excellent knowledge (alone) is sometimes not enough to secure a high grade. Students must know what style and type of answer the examiner is looking for and what is, and is not, given marks. It might feel like a tick the box exercise in some subjects but...

AS grades are very important in that the total UMS scored goes towards their A2 next year. Doing well this year gives students a comfortable buffer for next year's A2 exams.
Good luck everyone.

Keep calm and... :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I agree with the above. My DD seems to be spending quite a few hours a day revising, but I'm not sure it's high quality. She did very poorly in one of her AS modules in January, in spite of appearing to know the material, so I guess she just didn't answer in the right way - we have the paper back but are waiting for the mark scheme from school. I keep talking to her about quantity versus quality etc etc but I think I'm just a noise gong on in the background, to be honest. As you say, it's a very difficult line between nagging & supporting.
scary mum
KB

Post by KB »

It sounds like your DD is taking subjects where doing past papers questions is going to be a major part of the revision process.

Has she got practice papers/mocks that have been marked so she can focus on weak areas?
Have the teachers set any questions to be completed over the holidays?

If not then past papers and mark schemes are available on line. She could look at questions and write detailed plans rather than full answers and then check against the mark schemes.
If she comes across questions that she can't do from memory then it could be a good idea to go and revise that area.

If she can spend more time now making sure that she has all the necessary knowledge stored in her head then she will be able to make best use of revision work that should be set in the few weeks back at school. One would expect the teachers to be setting a stream of past paper questions until study leave starts.

I don't think there is an issue with peaking too soon as if the material is learned over the holidays she will be using it every day up until the exams to write answers to past paper questions.

Unless your DD is very gifted then 2 hours a day sounds like the minimum that would be expected - it ought to be possible to double this without burning out. Better to put in the effort now than be under pressure during the exam period itself.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KB - two hours a day per subject not in total!

You cannot expect double this (4) x 4 = 16 hours a day revision; that would mean burn out.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Ah, I misread it as 2 hours/day as well :oops: . So 6 hours/ day for 3 subjects is about the same as my DD although she doesn't do all subjects each day.

As you were...
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now