Have we left it too late for Bexley test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cpbp

Have we left it too late for Bexley test?

Post by cpbp »

Our son is in year 5 of an independent school in south east London.

We looked at a sample Bexley paper and maths apart, thought it looked ok.

Had not previously considered prepping son for 11+ but are now wondering whether we should give it a go.

Have we left it too late to have a go, do you think?

Our son is bright but generally gets average marks in English and Maths.

Has anyone else got a similiar child in to a grammer school and if so, how are they coping?

We are planning to have a tutor assess him to see if he thought our son had the potential to pass.

Know someone with a boy at C&S who is very happy with it.

Look forward to your comments.

To all those preparing for the 11+, best of luck to your dc!
Ps, I work so would be unable to do much with DS over summer etc apart from bits on weekends.
Bromleymum1

Re: Have we left it too late for Bexley test?

Post by Bromleymum1 »

I think you still have time. You need to do your research though as the Bexley test is changing this year. Other threads should give you some more information about the new CEM test.

My DS passed Bexley test and is due to start gs this September. I did some tutoring at home with him for VR and maths. Be aware that with the test in September, it does mean that you/DS will need to do some work through the summer holidays. Are you going to tutor him yourself or find a tutor for him? A tutor may be difficult to find with only afew months to go, although I could be wrong.

Good luck.
Hopeful2002

Post by Hopeful2002 »

Hi cpbp,

It's a great idea to get him assessed. Try to get a recommendation for a tutor (I don't have any recommendations I'm afraid but you can ask people to PM you them) so you know they're good and that they'll be honest with you. Does your son's indie do any prep and / or have they done any NFER tests with him? The results from the NFER can give you some indication although they're far from infallible.

If your son is roughly in the top 20% of the cohort he has a shot - but if you are out of the catchment for all the secondaries (boys can look at Beths and Bexley Grammar as well as C & S) he will need to score, roughly, in the top 3 - 4% of that year's test takers: the top 180 scorers (of around 5000) are automatically given a place in the grammar school of their choice regardless of distance. You can see the catchments for the schools over the last few years in Bexley's Secondary transfer handbook. I seem to remember that Bexley measures the distance by shortest walking route rather than as the crow flies, but I could be wrong.!

Bexley is changing to the CEM test this year which is allegedly tutor proof. But I agree with bromleymum that a bit of work over the summer wouldn't go amiss, if only to keep his brain ticking over. I work too so DD just did 10 minute tests on weekdays in the summer, and longer papers on the weekends.

Hope that's helpful, and good luck!
cpbp

Post by cpbp »

Thanks so much Bromleymum1 and Hopefull 2002.

Hopefull, well done your DS! You must be very proud of him.

Hopefull 2002, he is going to see a tutor for the first time in the next couple of weeks and we will see what the tutor says.

Off to check whether we are in catchment otherwise my little Einstein is scoobied!

School doesn't do prep for 11+ as they have a senior school on site and would obviously like bums on seats there but we simply won't have the money to fund him through senior school and the results aren't brilliant considering the fees!

Thank you both so much for your responses. Much appreciated.

Take care.

Cpbp
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

cpbp

You need to check each school re distance from home to school. They can vary, for example, Beths changed from distance by road to as the crow flies last year, while C&S was distance by road. Although I have a feeling I have seen something about this changing for C&S this year. I think if you go to Bexley Council website, you need to look for admissions criteria for 2014.

Hope this helps.
lefol

Post by lefol »

DS2 is at Chis and Sid . He is definitely not a brain box . We used the bond books , the ten minute test bond books and the GL Assessment packs as the previous exams were based on GL Assessments . I do not think you have left it late , especially if your DS is bright and motivated . Look through the Birmingham forum . They do CEM( the new format for the Bexley test there ) . You can follow the link and download some papers for DS to practice with and work on building solid foundations on maths and English . The indies in Bexley and Bromley have a good record of sending children to chis and Sid . If you look at the leavers destination for our local area Bromley and Bexley , most go to chis and Sid partly because the school takes kids from Bromley, Lewisham and Swanley!

They are quite good with notifying those on the waiting lists , so those waiting you may get a call soon! Good luck to all . Fantastic trips for all year groups . There is a trip planned for year 7 to Switzerland and year 8 are going to Spain next month and year 10 are planning a trip to San Francisco.
Sports

Post by Sports »

I started 3 months before the exam...only because the school said my kid was not bright.
Anyway found this amazing tutor who convinced to me have shot.
I figured i had nothing to lose. Everything went well and my kid made amazing progress.
However i had a holiday booked in aug and i had to take it or lose my deposit.

What a mistake as my kid just failed by one mark...if we didnt
Go on holiday we would have passed !! (Also my son is sept child)

Anyway 3 months is enough if you find a good tutor
(Pm me if you need a recommendation)...also beware of
Tutors or schools saying your child is not good enough

Finally dont go holiday this summer !!

I have found another school but will try for 12 plus
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

Just thought I would say that DS has been offered a place at Beths. Our HT said this is a first since he has been Head
(five years). We are on waiting list for C&S, although unsure which one we will ultimately go with, if given the choice!
cpbp

Post by cpbp »

Aren't some mums so lovely and helpful! I am so appreciative of you taking the time to post.

Have been worrying a lot about finances and schooling as I am being made redundant in Sept. Grammar would be the answer to our prayers, if it happens!

Bromleymum1, well done your DS! That is fantastic. It is great that he has a guaranteed place. Really pleased for you.

Sports, one bloomin mark! What a killer. I will keep everything crossed for you for the 12+. We won't be going on hols anyway this summer. I don't know if the tutor we are hoping to see prepares for the 11+. We had him lined up to help DS with his maths and comprehension so when we meet him we will see if he does the 11+ prep. Would be so grateful if you would pm me your tutor's details just in case our guy doesn't do it. Really hope your DC aces the 12+.

Lefol, thanks so much for the info on Chis and Sid. DS is a hardworker so I am hoping that will stand him in good stead. Thanks for your good wishes.

cpbp
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

It is not too late if you are ready to work hard with your son. The new exam have to do more with foundation and consistency while the old one has to do with understanding of some certain concepts. It is easier to get in with the old exam than this judging from parents view on this website.
2) Do not limit yourself to C&S, try saint O as well. It is just Maths and English. SO is better than many private secondary schools in SE result wise. You can also try Kent exam as well. It is the same preparation apart from comprehension in Bexley exam and your child can be blessed enough and get into Dartford Grammar. There are buses from many places even Wilmington.
Start now and you will not regret it. It depends on you as a parent, your son and the tutor. You do need a tutor that can prepare him both mentally and academically.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now