Skinners for non sporty boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Quisicosas

Skinners for non sporty boys

Post by Quisicosas »

Hi. I hope I am posting in the right place. My DS is not at all sporty but he is very academic and musical. We think that Skinners might suit him but other people have commented that Skinners are obsessed with Rugby and make the boys play like it or not. I would love to hear of your experiences, opinions. Thank you.
bertalone

Re: Skinners for non sporty boys

Post by bertalone »

I have a son in year 7 at Skinners and he'd never played rugby before he joined. In the first couple of weeks the PE teachers sorted out who already played rugby (around 50%) and split them up. My son only plays rugby on Friday afternoons in the games lesson and they are never pushed to play any more. In fact, when the weather has been bad the non-team members have been using the new gym, which he has loved, instead of playing rugby. Those in the A and B teams do play and practise a lot but there is certainly a lot more on offer besides rugby.
mummabear

Post by mummabear »

My son is also in year 7 and not at all sporty! He has become very involved with the music department, as Bertalone says, the only time they play rugby is Friday afternoon and so far my son has only played one very gentle game of rugby with the other non-sporty boys, other weeks he has been practising throwing and catching!
Quisicosas

Post by Quisicosas »

Thank you everyone for your replied, including the person who PM'd me. I am glad to hear of your experiences. What's the music department like?
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

Hi

my son too is in yr 7 at skinners and is not particularly fond of rugby, although like the other posts have said he doesn't have it forced on him! Re the music department, I'm very pleased with it and most importantly so is my son. They seem to do fab things in the actual lessons, recording their own compositions etc. He also has piano lessons once a week; purely for fun and he thinks the teacher is the best he's had!

If you have any concerns/questions regarding sports and music (or anything) call the school. They are incredibly helpful. I know when i had the dilemma (sorry cant spell to save my life!) of which GS to have as first on my list they were fantastic.
mummabear

Post by mummabear »

Hi,
Yes music dept is fantastic, extremely supportive, well organised and if your son is not
sporty, being involved with orchestra and choir is seen as an equally important way to represent
the school as being part of a sports team would be, as are other activities such as lego championships
and reading challenges for non-sporty and non-musical students. I have found the school
to be extremely supportive generally and can not fault it at all.

MB
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now