Just wondering!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MadMum.com

Just wondering!

Post by MadMum.com »

I've just been thinking. (Not always a good thing!)

Do we (parents/guardians) apply to sit the 11 plus or is it done through the primary school the child attends?

When do you start to look at schools after 11 plus or before?

I really don't understand how any of this really works, and need to learn dverything in super quick time :wink:
Tinkers

Re: Just wondering!

Post by Tinkers »

MadMum.com wrote:I've just been thinking. (Not always a good thing!)

Do we (parents/guardians) apply to sit the 11 plus or is it done through the primary school the child attends?
This depends on the school/region. Check the admissions page(s) of the schools you are interested in or ask in the forum for the region you are in.
MadMum.com wrote:IWhen do you start to look at schools after 11 plus or before?

I really don't understand how any of this really works, and need to learn dverything in super quick time :wink:
We went to open evenings of various schools in both year 5 and year 6. Going in year 5 gives you time to think about schools and ask questions. Also helps possibly motivate DC once they have seen some schools.

Leaving it until year 6 may mean you have spent several months working towards an exam only to find the school isn't quite right and that another school that you only went to look at 'out of interest' is actually the one for your DC.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

You might be better posting this in your area, as each area will probably have different arrangements. Or ask the class teacher or other parents - someone will know.

With reference to looking at schools: I prefer to see the school during a normal working day; you need to book an appointment to do that. The open evenings, usually in the summer or early autumn, are great fun for children, but remember it is a show and doesn't really give you a 'feel' for what the school is really like.
MadMum.com

Post by MadMum.com »

No one seems to go on my region forums :( I took a look on one of the council sites (sitting 2 different tests) and it only stated the date that you need to apply by.

That is exactly what I was thinking but didn't want to come across too eager, or turn up to a open evening just to find people all a year above.
MadMum.com

Post by MadMum.com »

wonderwoman wrote:With reference to looking at schools: I prefer to see the school during a normal working day; you need to book an appointment to do that. The open evenings, usually in the summer or early autumn, are great fun for children, but remember it is a show and doesn't really give you a 'feel' for what the school is really like.
This is a great idea, I didn't think they would allow this, but shall enquire about this.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Don't worry about going to open evenings in year 5. Most schools expect it and our primary encouraged it. All the friends of my DD went in year 5 and 6. Most schools will publish dates for open evenings on their websites. They might state it is for year 6 children but how would they know?
MadMum.com

Post by MadMum.com »

Tinkers wrote:Most schools will publish dates for open evenings on their websites. They might state it is for year 6 children but how would they know?
Very true my dd is a older year 5 anyway so they properly won't even be able to tell :wink:
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Y5s are always welcome and schools love their evenings to be busy - it is advertising after all.

They don't always actively encourage individual tours during the day - think 1000 parents asking for that! But I have never had any problem, all the schools I asked were only too happy - if they turned me down I'd have crossed them off the list.
MadMum.com

Post by MadMum.com »

wonderwoman wrote:all the schools I asked were only too happy - if they turned me down I'd have crossed them off the list.
I think that is a great approach. I would wonder what they are trying to hide :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now