Personal Statements

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dina

Personal Statements

Post by dina »

Hi, can any of you who have been through the process help with the following:
DD Yr 12, wants to study medicine but knows that her chances of being accepted are slim even though she is predicted 3 A's at A level and has done some voluntary work etc but she is realistic enough to know that she needs to think of an alternative which will be a science based career possibly genetics or microbiology. However she is worried that if her personal statement is geared towards medicine it will reduce her chances of getting a uni place for her other choices. She feels now that she would rather concentrate on getting into a good uni for genetics for example and give up the idea of medicine. Lots of students must be in the same position so I can't see that a medical personal statement would prevent her from being accepted on another course but she doesn't want to take the chance. I would be grateful for any opinions or has anyone been through this and can reassure her?
KB

Re: Personal Statements

Post by KB »

At this stage I would advise her to call a couple of the Universities that she is interested in for the genetics etc and get their advice - without giving her name if possible!

This might be of general use -
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Wh ... cal_school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its worth thinking through what she really wants to do - medicine is tough going if she isnt 100% sure. If it is what she really wants then is she always going to think 'what if' if she doesn't give it her best shot. Quite a lot of students take a year out if they dont get an offer in year 13 and re-apply with excellent grades in the bag and more work experience under their belt.

Does the school not have a member of staff to advise on medicine applications?
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

KB wrote:Quite a lot of students take a year out if they dont get an offer in year 13 and re-apply with excellent grades in the bag and more work experience under their belt.
Exactly what my DD's friend is doing - in fact has planned a year out anyway and as medicine not looking too promising so far, she is looking forward to her year - a mixture of working and travelling.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.studential.com/personalstatements/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some good advice on here and try searching for examples for ideas.
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

I know a boy in Y13 with exactly this predicament. He wrote his statement with a clear medicine slant, as this was his main aim. His first offer through was for his 'reserve' subject at Nottingham, where he has also applied for medicine. He has had subsequent medicine offers. Good luck with the application! M
dina

Post by dina »

Thank you for your replies. We will do some more research and wait the AS and UKAT results by which time the decision may be made for her if the results are not what she expects! My worry is that DD is bright but not exeptional and has to work extremely hard for her grades (which she likes doing - very determined), she is not a particularly caring person and can be squeamish at times so not your typical doctor. However she is very hard working, organised and enjoys responsibility but I,m not sure this will be enough. I just don't want her to jeopardise a place at a good uni while trying to persue medicine. Anyway thanks again for your input.
KB

Post by KB »

I would suggest that DD does some reading up and talks through her interests and options.
The medicine course may not be the best option (whether she could get a place or not) if this is not really wher her interests lie.
Maybe she could think about what she would like to be doing after University - whether its lifestyle, working environment or any othe factors and start from there.
It may be that a research career would be more 'up her street' for example.

There is quite a lot of material on the internet now -
try
http://ww2.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage ... ce/p!efele" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and Kent Uni careers service have a useful web site as do many others.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.ukcoursefinder.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a good questionnaire - free to register and it will give other options.

My DS found it useful when he was unsure what options he had at Uni.
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

I think admissions departments for Biomedical Science type courses are aware of students predicament in this regard and will accept that a ps focused on medicine will be submitted by a student who has made the Bio Med or dimilar course one choice out of 5 and that the other 5 might be for Medicine with their course as back up. It is a perfectly common approach if Medicine is what she would like. Good luck
KenR

Post by KenR »

DS was in the same position. He was considering medicine at one time but then decided that biological sciences was the best route for him.

He was also keen on genetics and microbiology but in the end he has decided to to apply for Natural Sciences to give him the maximum flexibility regarding choice of modules. He's firmed Natural Science B/Ham with Biology/Biochemistry majors, Maths minor (A*AA offer) and Leeds (AAA) insurance.

If this hasn't worked out he would have applied for a Biological Sciences cources which tend to have a slightly lower offer (AAA or AAB).

Durham has an excellent Biological/Biolmedical sciences degree course (B.Sc or M.Science) which is modular based with lots of choice. I believe they also offer the option for high achieveing 1st year students to switch across to Medicine at Durham/Newcastle medical school if they really decide medicine is for them and want to go this route.

Regards applying to medicine and the choices, my DD applied to do medicine some yeasr ago and the most students only put 4 choices down on the UCAS form. The rationale being that you can apply for an additional university if you fail to get any offers or go via clearing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now