new style versus traditional style for speed in 11plus

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Undercover Lara

new style versus traditional style for speed in 11plus

Post by Undercover Lara »

I am not sure of the correct terminology but my daughters primary school teach using "new methods" not the old fashioned column addition and subtraction, long division etc, that I learnt at school.
Actually I quite like the new methods and it definitely helps with her understanding.
However some of the maths practice papers that she is doing have the maths questions set out in the old fashion style. A tutor I spoke to also recommended that she learnt the column method for speed in the 11 plus.

Not sure if it makes any difference to the replies but we live in Bucks and will have the new CEM in Sept 2013.

Any views on DIYing the traditional methods, or will this confuse her and should be stick to "chunking" and grids method that she uses at school?

Thanks Lara
secondtime

Re: new style versus traditional style for speed in 11plus

Post by secondtime »

My DD has learnt both styles at school. When the others went to secondary, they were expected to use the traditional style and school spent a few lessons 'converting' everyone! My DS had only done 'short long division' so took a while to do 'long long division'.

A few simple examples may help to show that in essence all methods yield the same results. Could you ask your teacher if they will cover this? Maybe it is a timing thing.

The newer methods do help with understanding in my opinion, although the traditional methods can be speedier.
Guest55

Re: new style versus traditional style for speed in 11plus

Post by Guest55 »

Some Y7s challenged their Bucks GS teacher to a speed test as they were trying to make them do the 'old methods'.

The Year 7s beat the teacher by quite a margin ... the new methods can be quicker and are certainly easier to spot errors.