What Sats level should our DC be on by the end of year 4...

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SleepyHead

What Sats level should our DC be on by the end of year 4...

Post by SleepyHead »

Just wondering what this level should be (by the end of year 4) in order to be at the right standard to apply for very academic indies ?

Also... what level do they need to get up to in readiness for these exams?

(Looking at schools like CLGS, HBS, Habs, and the like)

SleepyHead
Reading Mum

Re: What Sats level should our DC be on by the end of year 4

Post by Reading Mum »

do people do SATS at end of yr4 ?

you should probably be at 3s across the board at end of KS1 (yr2) and aiming for 5s/6s at end KS2 (yr6) so I guess you could extrapolate to need at least 4s at end yr 4?

Are these things linear? DD's school doesn't do them any more so I have lost touch
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Hi Readingmum

thanks for your reply, yes I am guessing that DD needs to be level 4s for everything by the end of year 4, that way the level 5s at the end of year 5 becomes more achievable?

I don't really know to be honest, I know what the 'national average' should be, but also aware that if applying for the highly academic schools, I shouldn't be looking at the 'national average!' ifswim :)

SH
Manana

Post by Manana »

They do Optional SATs at the end of each year in KS2 at my DC's school but report the teacher assessment level. DS got 4Cs at the end of Y4 and 4As (because the school wouldn't give any level 5s despite being told he was a 5 in maths!) at the end of Y5. He's now halfway through Y6 and the school reckons he'll get a 6 for Maths and 5A for R/W. He passed easily for his grammar-scoring the highest mark in the school.

HTH a bit?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

(because the school wouldn't give any level 5s despite being told he was a 5 in maths
:?: Who told the school? How did they assess the 5? Find this a bit strange as 5s raise profile!
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

Hi I am a primary tutor working in state schools. The national average for year 6 is 4b. Children hoping to pass the 11plus need to be 5/6 in yr 6. Primary teachers assess children throughout the year, in every year. They will have a level at the end of each year. Some schools put these on reports others don't. You should be able to ask the teacher at any point what level your child is.

Good progress is 2 sub levels a year. So if your child is 4a at the end of year 4, then 5b by the end of year 5, then that would be 5a-6c by year 6.

Some times levels are capped at the end of years in schools-so for example no children will be given higher than a 4a for example at the end of year 3. This also happens in state secondary schools. So you could ask the teacher what is the highest mark you can get at the end of the year.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sleepyhead, the schools you have mentioned are super selectives, hundreds of applicants will apply and hundreds will not even get interviews at the private schools or into the top three hundred at HBS. You will need to finish KS2 by the end of Y5 and be working at Level 6 by the time you sit the exams to give your dd the best chance of success. You also need to prepare carefully using the right materials. Sats levels give you some idea if you are in the ball park but preparing for the actual exams of the schools you are interested in is the most important thing. DG
Manana

Post by Manana »

yoyo123 wrote:
(because the school wouldn't give any level 5s despite being told he was a 5 in maths
:?: Who told the school? How did they assess the 5? Find this a bit strange as 5s raise profile!
Sorry, that wasn't very clear! The Y5 teacher told me at the parents' evening in the summer term that DS had only got a couple of questions wrong on the maths paper and was a clear L5. When the report came out and he'd got 4As, I queried it with her and she said the head had told the Y5 teachers to give no higher than a L5 as it gave the Y6 teachers nowhere to go (err, L6, perhaps?)

As a teacher, I knew it was all boswollocks, and there were plenty of level level 5s in our Y5, but didn't create a fuss. He passed his 11+ and all was fine.

Had he been borderline and needed school marks as evidence yet they had only reported him as a 4a, I might have been more cross!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:shock:

I agree!
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

It just goes to prove what I have been saying all along - that SATs levels are rubbish, mean little and are not really a true reflection of ability, only ability to pass those sorts of tests. Thank goodness we won't be dealing with them for much longer.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now