Loreto school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

elizabethswan

Loreto school

Post by elizabethswan »

Does anyone have any thoughts about Loreto as a school for a non-catholic? Everyone I speak to is either totally against it for a non-catholic or thinks it's no problem at all, no in-between views! I liked it a lot at the open day, and it's very local to us, but am concerned about her feeling left out, and the emphasis on religious education. She currently goes to a faith school, and when I phoned them they said she could sit outside with a book when they had mass, or join in if she wished, but I'm not sure which would be the right thing, if any; although I have heard of several non-catholic or even non-christian girls who have had a good school experience there, I haven't met anyone face to face with experience so that I can ask them. :wink:
Valmont

Re: Loreto school

Post by Valmont »

I actually did a days teaching experience there a few years ago when I was considering a career change. I got the chance to sit in several classes throughout the day in different year groups, so I'm in the privileged position of being able to comment on the teaching and school first hand!

The school, the teachers I spoke to and the general ethos were excellent. The girls were well behaved, respectful and highly motivated although one teacher did comment that the academic standard of the pupils was slightly below that of the other grammar schools and that they had a much higher entrance pass rate there than AGGS.

I didn't notice a particular emphasis on religion, although all the classes I sat in were Maths. I didn't participate in the morning assembly. There certainly wasn't a hushed or repressive atmosphere, quite the contrary.

My daughter is starting at AGGS this September, we are not catholic and I didn't want her going to a faith school, but that is my personal preference. Loreto is certainly an excellent school.
emsy

Post by emsy »

It is worth checking how many non-Catholic girls got in this year. The school tends to fill its places with catholic girls and have few, if any, places left for non-catholics who are in the lower categories (Category 7 is Baptised girls of other denominations and category 8 is Other Girls).
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I believe a few non catholics got in this year, but this is unusual, in fact last year some lower category catholics ( out of area) were not allocated.

Its certainly not a banker.Lovely school and girls though, many of my friends have daughters there.
smiler10

Post by smiler10 »

elizabethswan wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts about Loreto as a school for a non-catholic? Everyone I speak to is either totally against it for a non-catholic or thinks it's no problem at all, no in-between views! I liked it a lot at the open day, and it's very local to us, but am concerned about her feeling left out, and the emphasis on religious education. She currently goes to a faith school, and when I phoned them they said she could sit outside with a book when they had mass, or join in if she wished, but I'm not sure which would be the right thing, if any; although I have heard of several non-catholic or even non-christian girls who have had a good school experience there, I haven't met anyone face to face with experience so that I can ask them. :wink:
I believe it's a brilliant school although I can't comment on the religious aspects of the school. What I would say is that you should be aware of what has happened at St Ambrose this year. It seems that no non-Catholic boys got a place- even the one's with brothers in the school. I don't know if this is the same for Loreto but it is something you should perhaps consider before sitting your DD for the exam to avoid disappointment? Best of luck :)
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Can we please remind posters of the Forum Rules.

In particular:
1. Name calling, insults and “flaming” (provocative or hostile posting) are not permitted. Threads that descend into a flame war may be locked or removed temporarily or permanently from the Forum.

2. Posts that may incite religious or racial hatred or contain potentially libellous comments will be removed without warning.

Some posts have been already been removed from this thread - we will not hesitate to remove the thread as a whole should this prove to be necessary.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now