Anyone travelling from Colchester to Southend schools?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
trbld

Anyone travelling from Colchester to Southend schools?

Post by trbld »

Hi, does anyone know if there is a private bus running from Colchester to Southend schools? We are contemplating sending our son to SHSB, is anyone in Colchester already sending (or planning on sending) their DD/DS to Southend? I am interested in getting in touch to arrange something if possible.
kebabeater

Re: Anyone travelling from Colchester to Southend schools?

Post by kebabeater »

Crikey, that's got to be north of 100 mile round trip every day. I would be surprised if there is a bus available as I doubt there are many parents who would want their children to be spending be 2 to 3 hours every day travelling to school. A bus would also mean they would not be able to do any after or before school activities as there is generally only one school bus each morning or evening.

CRGS would seem to be the sensible choice for someone living in Colchester... :wink:
moved

Post by moved »

I doubt that SHSB was 1st choice. I would suggest driving it in rush hour though just to check how the journey seems. Would you consider moving? We did and now DC walk to school. DS commuted for four terms before we moved, DD just the one.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Depart Arrive Duration
06:15 Colchester Station 06:50Shenfield 00h 35

06:59 Shenfield 07:30 Prittlewell 00h 31

Prittlewell Station is about 15 minutes' walk from the school.

The 06.19 from Colchester gives an extra quarter-hour homework / sleep time on the journey to Shenfield :) . Using the train (about £12.50 return, cheaper with a Scholar Season Ticket) would give a lot more flexibility re after-school clubs / matches / outings, although for the trips which start very early in the morning you would really have to drive in to be on the safe side, and the schiool tends to expect that boys are picked up rather than left to make their own way home from the ones which get back after about nine at night.

SHSB is a great school, and I would hesistate to put you off if it is what you and your DS really want, but I seriously cannot believe that there is no good alternative between Colchester and Southend? However he would make the journey, it is not a regime that I would wish on an adult on a long-term basis (and I speak as one who actually did enjoy my relatively straightforward commute into London!), let alone a young lad.

Would you not consider moving house if you took up a place at SHSB?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sundae21

Post by Sundae21 »

If you're south of Colchester - there's a Stephenson's contract coach from Wickham Bishops, the 504.
http://www.stephensonsofessex.com/media ... uthend.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope this helps.
trbld

Post by trbld »

Thanks for the very helpful replies! SHSB was not our top choice but is a wonderful school. We did the rush hour drive to SHSB yesterday and it was not nice, definitely not sustainable (at least for me).

If we accept the SHSB place, we will have to move after a term or two at most. Thanks for the awesome advice 8) made the whole decision seem so easy!
moved

Post by moved »

trbld wrote:Thanks for the very helpful replies! SHSB was not our top choice but is a wonderful school. We did the rush hour drive to SHSB yesterday and it was not nice, definitely not sustainable (at least for me).

If we accept the SHSB place, we will have to move after a term or two at most. Thanks for the awesome advice 8) made the whole decision seem so easy!
Congratulations and it looks like you have a temporary travel solution too!
trbld

Post by trbld »

Thanks moved, yes we are planning to do a mix of both bus service and a day or two of weekly drive. We have been to all Stephensons bus stops in Witham, Hatfield Peverel, Wickham Bishops - it is tough but doable.
pleased as punch

Post by pleased as punch »

Depending on whereabouts you are in Colchester, you may want to consider that SBC coaches runs their Route B bus from the Braintree district (Great Notley) to SHSB. Its a great service and the timetable can be found on their website. By the way...SHSB is a fantastic school and I can't rate it highly enough, so good luck to your son.

trbld wrote:Hi, does anyone know if there is a private bus running from Colchester to Southend schools? We are contemplating sending our son to SHSB, is anyone in Colchester already sending (or planning on sending) their DD/DS to Southend? I am interested in getting in touch to arrange something if possible.