OCR sciences 21st century and Gateway and school choice.

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Potterfan

OCR sciences 21st century and Gateway and school choice.

Post by Potterfan »

Hi
I have a question that might appear daft.

I have been researching the OCR science boards. There are OCR Gateway science and OCR21st Century.
I am told the latter is easier because some of it is multiple choice.

In retrospect would anyone have chosen their Grammar High school based on OCR gateway or OCR 21st century? As it would be easier to get A* with OCR 21st century.
hermanmunster

Re: OCR sciences 21st century and Gateway and school choice.

Post by hermanmunster »

When my kids were going into year 7 I hadn't really got any idea about GCSEs at that stage - so really don't think it made any difference to me
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Given that Michael Gove has already made two?three? major changes to GCSEs since our eldest sat the 11+ and the school has changed horses at least once (from GCSE to iGCSE), I don't think it's worth spending too much time worrying about precise details at such an early stage. There are probably more fundamental factors to consider such as number of sciences and languages available, number of GCSEs taken early, etc., etc. The QCA presumably doesn't consider one exam easier than the other.
Potterfan

Post by Potterfan »

What is the significance of taking GCSE's earlier to school and the league tables?

I can't decide whether it is a good thing or not. Good because 1 less GCSE eg Maths to take but I understand (in a certain school) the child then takes A2 in that subject in Y11. Or not good because there is less time to study and practice the syllabus.

Can anyone please enlighten me?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think some of the universities prefer to see them all taken at one sitting. Also if a child gets a B in year 10 presumably they could have got an A in year 11.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Early entry in ENglish or Maths is now reported in RAISEonline and Ofsted will look carefully at the results.

You need as many As and A*s at GCSE as you can get so early entry is not wise.
Potterfan

Post by Potterfan »

So if the results were not of a high enough grade, would Ofsted stop or recommend that the school stop early entry of those subjects?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now