Syllabus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mikedellfarm

Syllabus

Post by mikedellfarm »

Is there an actual syllabus written down anywhere of what Maths topics the kids are meant to know? We've got past papers and are working through those, but also using sample papers from other places.

What's thrown us is same Maths papers from one source that expect the child to know how to convert metric to imperial units, specifically metres to feet and back again, without being told the conversion factor. That just seems daft to me, as it imperial units haven't been in a mainstream syllabus for years so far as I'm aware. But it got me worrying - are they meant to know that for CSSE, and if that, then what else - Fahrenheight to Centigrade, Ounces to Grams ...?

Any input on this gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike
moved

Re: Syllabus

Post by moved »

I always taught the basic ones. Two pints = approx one litre etc. I've never seen any conversions in CSSE papers though.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

moved wrote:I always taught the basic ones. Two pints = approx one litre etc. I've never seen any conversions in CSSE papers though.
I knew I'd seen it somewhere - the last question on the 2007 entry CSSE Maths paper was a temperature conversion, but the formula was given. DS2 still managed to get it wrong the first time round a few months ago (yes, this is the child working with a yr7 class at WHSG :shock: ), but had another go last week and did it okay. This was after I pointed out to him that it was just a fairly simple algebra question, really...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Converting from Metric to Imperial is part of the KS2 Maths syllabus. I recommend you buy the Scofield and Sims excellent book on KS2 Maths and the English one as well and cover everything in there. State schools are not allowed to ask you anything not on the KS2 syllabus. DG
toolate

Post by toolate »

There is quite a nice Pocket Posters Key Stage 2 maths - a colourful little booklet really - which lays out the whole KS2 syllabus. I think it is £1.50 from http://www.daydreameducation.co.uk...I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; only found it recently but I remember being confused about what the maths syllabus actually was and something like this would have been helpful.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

State schools are not allowed to ask you anything not on the KS2 syllabus
If this is the case how are they allowed to do tests in VR and NVR, as I am sure they are not subjects on the KS2 curriculum?

Unfortunately the KS2 maths curriculum is very vague regarding imperial units:
4. Pupils should be taught to:
a. recognise the need for standard units of length, mass and capacity, choose which ones are suitable for a task, and use them to make sensible estimates in everyday situations; convert one metric unit to another [for example, convert 3.17kg to 3170g] ; know the rough metric equivalents of imperial units still in daily use.
Personally I don't use any imperial units daily! I would guess they mean lbs/stone, pints, feet/inches but unfortunately it doesn't state this.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The Maths and English exams are from the KS2 syllabus. VR and NVR is supposed to be for the naturally able and are not supposed to be taught! DG
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

moved wrote:I always taught the basic ones. Two pints = approx one litre etc.
I still remember the rhyming ones "a litre of water's a pint and three quarters", "a metre equals three feet three: It's longer than a yard, you see" and "Two and a quarter pounds of jam is round about one kilogram" which I was taught more years ago than I care to remember!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Okanagan wrote:
moved wrote:I always taught the basic ones. Two pints = approx one litre etc.
I still remember the rhyming ones "a litre of water's a pint and three quarters", "a metre equals three feet three: It's longer than a yard, you see" and "Two and a quarter pounds of jam is round about one kilogram" which I was taught more years ago than I care to remember!

I got taught these too. I had a maths teacher who despite being told to teach metric decided he should teach imperial as well.

In my job I have to be bilingual when it comes to units so it has stood me in good stead. (unfortunately it hasn't helped with my current project where we have to use American spelling in all documents :roll: )