Reading boys - what should we be getting in practice tests?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jbsmum

Reading boys - what should we be getting in practice tests?

Post by jbsmum »

Hi,

Please can anyone tell me what sort of scores we should be getting in the practice papers to stand a reasonable chance of getting into Reading Boys?

Also, I have seen people talking about the scores their DSs got to get in - I assume this comes from the school, how is it calculated?

Confused!

Thanks
sonasona

Re: Reading boys - what should we be getting in practice tes

Post by sonasona »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=30958" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; might be a good place to start
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hi Jbsmum,

It really depends on the strength of the cohort sitting the exam. This of course varies year to year.

Remember, the final result is an average of all three papers; so stonger papers would pull up weaker ones.

I would aim at 90+, but ofc 100 should be a guaranteed place :wink:

:D

Bw
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Pretty much impossible to say, jbsmum. Last October was the first year that any scores were given out, and there's no raw data to go with it, as far as I know. So any attempts would just be guesses.

My son got in the year before - going by his practice marks and what he said about the tests afterwards, I would estimate that he got 100% or close to it on the Maths, 90+% on the reasoning, and I don't think he can have got above 80% on the English. But we don't even really know whether they just do a straight average, or weight it in some way, or pick e.g. the best English marks first, or any other method you care to imagine.

6 years ago when my eldest was preparing for Kendrick, the received wisdom on this forum was that high eighties was probably the bar to jump. This year, it seems that you should be aiming for low nineties for any degree of comfort (depending on your dd's birthday). I imagine the levels are roughly the same for Reading, given that they serve a similar area and take a similar number of boys.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

aliportico wrote:Kendrick, the received wisdom on this forum was that high eighties was probably the bar to jump. This year, it seems that you should be aiming for low nineties for any degree of comfort (depending on your dd's birthday).
+1
jbsmum

Post by jbsmum »

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your answers, they confirm what i've been thinking, as with many of the Reading Boys candidates DS is strong on Maths but less so on English/Verbal & I'm struggling to improve the vocab for this :( - any tips would be appreciated apart from more reading ...
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Word games always help. Scabble, hangman, bananagrams, word searches. Other online resources can be found here... English Resources

Coupled with the dreaded 'reading', should all help.

Try reading books to him while he's looking at the book too. He may get so involved with the story that he'll
go on, to read ahead himself. Especially good with a series of books, that he could get into. A Reading List can be found here.

Hth

BW
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now