Year 6 - Being stretched

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

countrymum

Year 6 - Being stretched

Post by countrymum »

Over the weekend DD has wanted to chat a little bit about school and it got me thinking. Although DD is socially very happy and enjoying school, on the academic side she feels, in her words, 'The school has given up on me' Not entirely sure what she means but she explained all efforts are being concentrated on one to ones with the rest of her class (a very small cohort) to get this level 4 and basically only her and 1 other are not having any outside tutoring which I found quite :shock: She is doing level 6 and although I had initial concerns of her doing them, she herself sets very high goals so wants to give them a good go and likes to be stretched. She feels she is not getting any level 6 support because all time is spent making sure everyone else is up to speed with the 3-5 stuff.

Now, as regards my feelings I am quite happy for her to 'put her feet up' for the rest of the term but it seems she isn't and actually feels a little disgruntled when she finishes her work and has to either go help someone else or do an art worksheet. Is it really a problem if DD ends up coasting so to speak for the rest of term. She'll certainly (I hope) be stretched and challenged when she goes off to GS.

In reality she'll probably come away with the 5 and I have told her this is great and she's to feel proud! I do think dangling a level 6 but not being able to support by teaching some of the concepts a bit :?: I haven't done any revision at home but now thinking should I, just to show my support (even though the maths side has me :roll: )

Why would so many DC's be privately tutored? If a child leaves on a 4 would that automatically put them in a middle set?
aliportico

Re: Year 6 - Being stretched

Post by aliportico »

So many being tutored seems a bit odd.

Coasting is fine at this stage imo - IF she's happy with it. Being bored is not ok. I'd do some work with her at home, or send her to school with good books so she can read rather than doing another boring work sheet. If it were July, perhaps let her be, but she might be facing rather a long time of this!

My kids were/are home edded at primary level, so I haven't had to deal with it, but I've seen e.g.,a good friend's son being really bored and fed up with his last few weeks of primary school, and it's a shame, this should be a good time for them.

My son's in y7 (grammar school) and is very bored by his maths lessons, and has been doing various maths-y stuff at home - not because I'm a pushy parent, he's doing it of his own accord because he clearly *needs* to.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I am wondering much the same - DS has brought home some english and maths to do for homework which he can mostly do without much support - this is great as DS is dyspraxic and needed quite a lot of encouragment / bribery to do homework when younger. He mentioned doing some level 6 maths questions in school which he had no idea what to do- I would hope his teacher would pick up on this next week rather than me having to intervene. There seems to be lot of revision going on and DS is finding this quite boring whereas dd was the same position last year seemed to take it in her stride. DS is using "My maths" on the computer which school set up for them and he can work on whatever he wants level wise which I think is helping.
Given this is the last term of year 6 and once SATS are out of the way they will be going on residential and then teachers will be preparing them for secondary transition and leavers show etc so I am trying not to stress about it too much.

DD did not do the level 6 paper last year but apparently got 99% in the 3-5 paper - so she got her level 5 but was assessed as working at level 6 when she got to her secondary school and is now in the top set.( She used to take her own books to read in school when she had spare time - she discovered Jane Austen at about that stage.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks for the feedback. Yes you are right aliportico coasting is fine, being bored isn't ideal. I really didn't want to get in the realms of doing revision at home and was happy to let it be, but what counts is her happiness and if she's happier doing a little revision to help her feel supported then I can't really say no can I. I do understand that a teacher needs to concentrate their efforts on those at a borderline 4 and they can only spread themselves so far. Tbh I think the extra tuition the DC's are having is to really ensure they come out with good 4's to get in a good middle set at the comp. The teacher is aware of the extra tuition the DC's get and I think supports it, if it helps the stats for the school then alls good. Being a very small cohort only one or two not getting the 4 makes a dramatic difference to the % mark of DC's not reaching it when looking at the league tables etc.

I totally appreciate one to one spells of support are in place for those most needy of it, infact my other DC benefits from a little extra help at school. But what about the very able children, I do wonder if they get the same support?
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS is coasting too and they don't do sats either! I'm getting a bit annoyed but on the other hand (DH's opinion) he's only 10 and its nice for him to be enjoying a relatively "free" summer.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Mmmm. Sats are soon. Maybe it will improve after that. I can't see the point in going to school every day to coast. I. E. not be taught anything new. I can't see why any child would relish that. Children like new things and not being at school. Teachers are trained to teach and not be entertainers. What might appear to be great fun and freedom to an adult probably isn't to a child and the weeks after sats very long.

If she is in some way worrying about the level 6 papers and is being bored to death at school I'd do some of Scarlett's health days before the sats if you have the time. The school probably can't afford to buy her a good level 6 study guide.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

mystery wrote: I'd do some of Scarlett's health days before the sats.
Could you explain what these are exactly?
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

A day off :-) To do something more interesting, hopefully!
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Is mystery getting all mysterious on us :lol:
I too would love to know what one of those kind of days are :?:
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

mystery wrote:Mmmm. Sats are soon. Maybe it will improve after that. I can't see the point in going to school every day to coast. I. E. not be taught anything new. I can't see why any child would relish that. Children like new things and not being at school. Teachers are trained to teach and not be entertainers. What might appear to be great fun and freedom to an adult probably isn't to a child and the weeks after sats very long.

If she is in some way worrying about the level 6 papers and is being bored to death at school I'd do some of Scarlett's health days before the sats if you have the time. The school probably can't afford to buy her a good level 6 study guide.
You could be right mystery and she's more worried about these 6's than I give her credit. I personally would rather they weren't an option but she wants to do them and I am guessing she's doing them as a little practise exercise and as she was a 3 across the board at KS1. Do schools benefit if DCs get these 6's? I tell her and tell her that a 5 is great!! I certainly don't want her leaving primary thinking she has failed at these level 6 papers!

Maybe I'm in the wrong for not going over Sats stuff with her at home :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now