6th form admissions

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

POOJAM27

6th form admissions

Post by POOJAM27 »

Last edited by POOJAM27 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Belinda

Re: 6th form appeal

Post by Belinda »

I'm sorry to hear your disappointment. Selective sixth forms can't accept all students that apply (both internal and external). They have a new set of rules, and a few internal students are refused a sixth form place as wellas external applicants in some schools.

I would advise looking again at the policy and procedure for entry into the sixth form. The school should have this on their website? Does this answer any of your questions? You can also contact the school and ask about waiting lists / appeals procedure for entry into sixth form.

You mention 'denied', 'judgemental' and 'non-transparency'... which makes me think you may be a bit angry too? Try not to let this spill out in contact with the school if you are. There may be a place off the waiting list in September as some students don't turn up! Be careful not to burn bridges.
Best wishes.
POOJAM27

Post by POOJAM27 »

Belinda, many thanks for the reply. i am making an appeal in this regard. But the policy in reference to internal/external students criteria is not giving much information. Also on the letter received from the school , they havent even mentioned a reason for refusal nor have given any waitlisting information and that is the reason why i feel that there is no transparency. Atleast we should know if my child cant get xx subjects then what are the other options that can be provided rather than refusing straightaway. I dont think so her predicted grades are bad where in she cannot be given a chance to discuss other options.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Your daughter's predicted grades are great so it seems that maybe the school have applied their over-subscription policy? Speak to the school in question and see if you can't get a bit more information out of them.
Best wishes.
POOJAM27

Post by POOJAM27 »

Sure, but please guide me what are the chances of being successful in the sixth form oversubscription appeal?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

I really don't know. (I'm just a Mum) Maybe someone else might know a little bit more on the ins and outs of sixth form applications etc. I guess it depends on which school (super elite selective = less chance maybe?) but many other things too no doubt, so don't lose hope. Things change. Encourage DD to do well in her GCSE's and not let her be too down about the school's (current) decision. It may change, and of course attaining her predictions in August will be good wherever she goes in sixth form.
POOJAM27

Post by POOJAM27 »

Definately but thanks again for your inputs.

Would appreciate if some members can help or guide.
Amber

Post by Amber »

My DD moved to a selective school for sixth form and while the published criteria were actually quite low (22 points from top 8 GCSEs with A* being worth 4 points) in practice many more students applied than could have places. Only those who were predicted at least 5 A* and 3 A seemed to have been interviewed (as an oversubscription strategy); and I think they offered places to those at the higher end of the predictions (6 or 7 A* predictions). Of course, they still had to honour their own admissions criteria which were much lower, but they had effectively selected out the students less likely to attain the very highest grades.

So I think that you need to look at the oversubscription criteria and may well find that they select those with the highest predictions. :(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

please guide me what are the chances of being successful in the sixth form oversubscription appeal?
No one can tell you that, I'm afraid. :?
There are very few 6th form appeals nationally - in part because I suspect many schools are failing to tell parents of their right of appeal.

As others have already said, the important thing is what the school's published admission rules say about entry requirements for the 6th form. It is those rules that determine how places must be allocated, and any letter you are sent must be in accordance with the published rules.

The school would appear to be in breach of the Appeals Code which clearly states:
Notifying appellants of the right to appeal and the appeal hearing

2.5 When a local authority or an admission authority informs a parent of a decision to refuse their child a place at a school for which they have applied, it must include the reason why admission was refused; information about the right to appeal; the deadline for lodging an appeal and the contact details for making an appeal. Parents must be informed that, if they wish to appeal, they have to set out their grounds for appeal in writing. Admission authorities must not limit the grounds on which an appeal can be made.

2.6 Where a child is refused admission to a sixth form, they and their parents have the same right of appeal and where they appeal separately admission authorities must arrange the appeals so that they are heard together.
Etienne
POOJAM27

Post by POOJAM27 »

thanks, if that public admission code is not being stated on the letter and it just gives one line information to appeal then what should be understood from this statement.....atleast few grammar schools have asked us to come back or contact the school after the GCSE results have been declared. I am quite certain that lot of reshuffling happens during those days once the results are out. Hence there is hope that we can go back once the actual statement of marks will be with us but in the school where i am appealing no such statement was written on the letter.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now