Bond Assessment Papers - maths - ages 9-10

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Bond Assessment Papers - maths - ages 9-10

Post by mystery »

Any idea how these fit with the National Curriculum and what level material the 9-10 book is designed to cover?
Bewildered

Re: Bond Assessment Papers - maths - ages 9-10

Post by Bewildered »

Age 9-10 would be, yr4 level Maths, at primary school.
mystery

Post by mystery »

How do you know that? If it's on the basis of age in the title I'm not sure about that as children have their 10th birthday during year 5.
Manana

Post by Manana »

The Bond 9-10 relates pretty well to the current Y5 maths NC.
mystery

Post by mystery »

What NC level is the current year 5 level curriculum ... I find it easier to be told NC levels as what is taught in year 5 varies so much from school to school or county to county, and ability group to ability group.

I'm pretty sure my DD has covered all the level 4 material between home and school so will Bond 9 - 10 be a good choice or will it mean that some material she has covered will get forgotten as the book does not include it?
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Hi Mystery,

Going on the topics they have covered in year 4 at DD's schoool, I would say that they are definitely working at level 4b (possibly 4a towards the end of the year.) I don't think they are working at level 5 yet because there are various topics they haven't covered yet.

Here are a list of topics that I would 'think' are level 5, (I am going on a level 5 maths book that DD hasn't yet done)

averages (mode / median/mean/range)
probability (likely/unlikely/certain/impossible)
long multiplication
long division
missing angles on a straight line
irregular perimeter and are (ie like an L shape with not all the measurements given)
negative numbers
missing angles in a quadrilateral
simple algebra
(this question is taken from a level 5 maths book)
EG:
Find the value of the following expressions if x =18
(43-x) + 24 = ?

A lot of these topics are in the Bond 9-10 books (mixed in with easier questions of course - thankfully) and I would guess that Bond 9-10 therefore is a level 4a/5 book.

My target is to finish Bond 9-10 (book 1) before the end of year 4. Cover the 'new topics' over summer and then start the Bond 9-10 (book 2) in the first term of year 5. That's the master plan! I'll post back if we stick to to it :wink:
SH
mystery

Post by mystery »

That sounds right from my impression of the book so far versus other books which do mention levels.

Your plan sounds good (and challenging). Is book two worth doing - why not move on to age 10 to 11 or the stretch books I have noticed on the bond website?
ellen22

Post by ellen22 »

I would recommend Bond 9-10 for the last term of year 4, even though all of the content probably won't have been covered in school. Then move on to 10-11 in Year 5, so that you have covered all topics before you begin past papers.
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Apologies for going off topic, :oops: but when would you start past papers? At the beginning of the summer term of Year 5? I doubt we would be ready any sooner.

I am not sure what the jump from 9-10 book2 and 10-11 book1 is? If the books are a similar standard then I guess it's feasible to skip the 9-10 book2. To be honest, I think I would make that call depending on how DD does in book1. If she can finish a whole paper (with only a couple errors :?: ) then I might be tempted to skip 9-10 book2.

SleepyHead
mystery

Post by mystery »

SleepyHead wrote: If she can finish a whole paper (with only a couple errors :?: ) then I might be tempted to skip 9-10 book2.

SleepyHead
That will never be my daughter! The idea of making only a small number of errors in maths is an alien concept, no matter how straightforward the content. Aaaagh! She can even do quite long workings, get everything correct, and then put a different answer in the answer box.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now