Effect of raising school leaving age on accelerated pupils

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Minesatea

Effect of raising school leaving age on accelerated pupils

Post by Minesatea »

With the school leaving age rising to 18 in 2015 what effect does this have on children who are being educated in a year group or more ahead of their peer group. These children will complete year 13 but still be of an age where they must be in "education or training".
Are universities happy to take them at 17? Presumably they couldn't take a gap year as this is unlikely to meet the "education or training" remit.
Can anyone clarify the situation?
ToadMum

Re: Effect of raising school leaving age on accelerated pupi

Post by ToadMum »

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Un ... quirements

A quick scout revealed that Oxford don't mind how old you are, so long as you can show a mature attitude to your chosen subject; Kent say at least 17 by September 20th (but then have a long list of what the Uni must do if they identify you as being under 18 on your application! Some folk just like making work for themselves, methinks.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ginx

Post by ginx »

My son is in year 10. Will he be able to leave school at 16? What is the current leaving age, is it still 16? My daughter in year 9 will have to stay on, but nobody seems to know about dc in year 10 now.

Anyone know?
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

My DD2 is in Year 11 and she is the first year of children who have to stay in education/learning environment/apprenticeship until they're 18, therefore 2013 is the first year of staying until 18, not 2015.

I personally don't know any child that is educated a year above, certainly not in state schools, but then again, I don't have any friends who send their children to private school - is it usual in the private/public school sector to put children in the year above?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

From the gov website
Staying in education or training in England until you’re 17 or 18
In England, if you’re currently in year 11 you must stay in some form of education or training until the end of the academic year when you turn 17.

If you’re currently in year 10, then you have to stay in some form of education or training until the end of the academic year when you turn 18.

This doesn’t have to mean staying in school, it can be:

full-time education, eg at a school or college
an apprenticeship
full-time employment (over 20 hours a week) combined with part-time education or training
The problem is that some university courses (especially those that include hospital training) have a minimum age limit. In the past it wasn't a problem as underage pupils were advised to take a gap year. But what will they do in the future? Stay on at school and take more A levels? I can't see many employers wanting to give a 17 year old a job with part time training if they are then going off to uni the next year.
moved

Post by moved »

Current yr 11 have to stay in education/training until 17.

Med schools are problematic for 17 yr olds. 18 is the required age for clinical work, some courses start with a non clinical yr but not all.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Yeah, y11 (my dd1) have to stay till 17; y10 (my dd2) till 18.

I was wondering this the other day because dd1 has a friend from maths camp who was there as a 'senior' (a few sixth form helpers) - he's two school years above her despite actually being younger than her! He'll be doing his A levels next months and can leave school quite happily, but I did wonder what would happen in that situation in future.
Last edited by aliportico on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I think it means that children will be able to delay starting school until they are mature enough to cope with it all. Just a thought. Hey Amber, do you think they're listening to you?
Amber

Post by Amber »

KS10 wrote:I think it means that children will be able to delay starting school until they are mature enough to cope with it all. Just a thought. Hey Amber, do you think they're listening to you?
Oh absolutely. Longer school hours; doing away with the need for qualified teachers; increasing numbers and variety of comparative league-tables; constant changes to the exam system; and most especially starting formal testing of children when they are 2, as part of well thought-through set of 'competencies' they need to master before the age of 5 - these are all things I have been campaigning for for years. I am so in step with this Government I could almost imagine I am part of it. :?

Nothing will prevent some parents from expressing a deep conviction that their three year old is far too bright not to be at school, sadly. I doubt if too many of that ilk will be dissuaded from sending them early by the idea of a seventeen year old not being allowed into university. I predict a few high-profile legal challenges from parents of 15 year old prodigies who believe they will be such an asset to higher education that the rules must be changed to facilitate their stratospheric rise to brilliance.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

+1
I was just about to write all of the above, Amber, but you beat me to it! :lol: Well, I was thinking along those lines, but without the big words.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now