Which are the best books to buy...too many to choose!!

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rafmum

Which are the best books to buy...too many to choose!!

Post by Rafmum »

Please help!

Im in postion where I am about to purchase VR books in preparation for entrance exams. can anybody advice which are the best ones....Bond, IPS or others? many thanks!!
ahap

Re: Which are the best books to buy...too many to choose!!

Post by ahap »

Which county?
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

it depends on who writes the exams - some training materials are not appropriate to some exams
Rafmum

Post by Rafmum »

Many thanks for your replies. i’m looking for an overall suitable book to get my daughter used to papers in preparation for independent school entrance as opposed to certain counties.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

In that case Susan Daughtrey bks 1 - 4 offer a wide range of VR question types, IPS only covers the 21 types used in the old Bucks test (and others) whereas SD has 35+ types. Bond has some different types again. If you don't know quite what you are aiming for then covering a variety would be safest. Do they publish past papers - many Indies don't but some do and you can download papers from their websites (or buy them).
We used SD for a particular GS but it also stood her in good stead for the Indie exam she sat (offered 2 scholarships).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Do you know for sure that the private schools you are interested in do VR? Private schools tend to be more interested in the English and Maths exams. In terms of VR papers I would strongly recommend IPS, The Tutors, Athey, Walsh and Bright Sparks. It is important to study a range as students who just do Bond, which is most students, sometimes do not recognise a question if it is asked in a slightly different way. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now