Private Tutoring at GS??

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
countrymum

Private Tutoring at GS??

Post by countrymum »

Following on from Pumpkin Pie's tutoring link, it got me thinking. Do DC's 'generally' have private tutoring still, even if they are in a Grammar School? Anyone care to share if and why they do/don't.

Genuinely interested, so so many DCs I know get tutoring and many shall still be doing once off to the comp, it seems to be the 'norm' these days. As for us, no plans to get my DD tutored, and although I find maths (level 6 upwards) tricky ish in parts, I hope the school support her where I can't in that subject.

Seems like everyone has to 'keep up' these days, keep up with what though :roll:
hermanmunster

Re: Private Tutoring at GS??

Post by hermanmunster »

I'm not aware of anyone getting extra tuition at DC's GS though it may be going on of course and passed me by!
djy76

Post by djy76 »

I had a conversation about tutoring with my DD in yr9 at superselective GS the other day. She was surprised I was shocked so many of her friends had extra help ranging from physics (I can understand that!) through to maths and English.

It had never occurred to me to consider this route, luckily dd is holding her own at present..
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I now an awful lot of pupils at Bucks grammar schools who have tutors. I did know of someone who had 5 (!) different tutors at GCSE. DD had a maths tutor in her GCSE - it was suggested by her GS that she had one :). She is also seeing someone for one of her AS level subjects for a few sessions to give her a boost. I don't really agree with it, but sometimes a bit of a boost is needed. I would feel if a child needed constant tutoring, maybe they weren't in the right school, but I'm probably being hypocritical again. I attended a selective school in the 80s and had tuition to get me through maths O level and Chemistry A level - partly due to a blind spot with maths and a couple of poor teachers in the subjects, so it's always gone on.
scary mum
ginx

Post by ginx »

Countrymum, I have a friend with two sons who have weekly coaching. Both boys are at a gs, the oldest is in year 11 and can't quite get a C in English GCSE, although he has A*'s for many subjects and is predicted more this summer. Both boys are very good at maths/sciences so just have coaching for English.

It must cost her a fortune.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

I have had two tutees from my dd's GS. One wasn't for long as they found someone who would go to their house, so don't know if she still has tuition. The other I've been seeing fortnightly since September - she moved down a set and needed a confidence boost - she doesn't need extra tuition really, and I've told her parents that!

I'm not aware of any of dd's friends ever having had tutoring.
mystery

Post by mystery »

scary mum wrote:I now an awful lot of pupils at Bucks grammar schools who have tutors. I did know of someone who had 5 (!) different tutors at GCSE. DD had a maths tutor in her GCSE - it was suggested by her GS that she had one :). She is also seeing someone for one of her AS level subjects for a few sessions to give her a boost. I don't really agree with it, but sometimes a bit of a boost is needed. I would feel if a child needed constant tutoring, maybe they weren't in the right school, but I'm probably being hypocritical again. I attended a selective school in the 80s and had tuition to get me through maths O level and Chemistry A level - partly due to a blind spot with maths and a couple of poor teachers in the subjects, so it's always gone on.
You are most certainly being hypocritical!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Is it any worse than tutoring for the 11 plus while feeling slightly uncomfortable about doing so? I think we all agree that we all want the best for our children. In year 11 my daughter had 3 different maths teachers, one of whom she couldn't understand, didn't seem to be able to add up and taught them the wrong spec for a while. For a child who is not strong in maths having a GCSE year like this is not helpful and a tutor was the best option. Before an AS exam in June she will have 3 sessions with a tutor on her own to help boost her confidence. Tutoring is extremely widespread at both GSs and independents and there are those on this forum who think the top schools get a lot of their good results due in part to the amount of tutoring that goes on.

Thank you for confirming that I am a hypocrite, though, it was helpful in case I was in any doubt.
scary mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

Why feel uncomfortable about the tutoring? That's succumbing to the latest fashion!
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

I've employed tutors to help my DD in 6th form at GS. We haven't had tutors before.

Whilst my DD has brought some difficulties on herself, there are some frankly shocking teachers. OH says some who taught him, at the same school, were terrible 30 years ago and they are still there!

One tutor is a family friend and is excellent linguist - my children have loved seeing her and have developed a real love for languages. That has been of value even if they don't take an exam in the subject.

DD also has a chemistry tutor, a friend of a friend, he has really built her confidence up after it being seriously dented.

My friend employed a maths tutor for her DS, because although her DS didn't want to do maths A level (he wanted to do Geography) the school insisted he did. He struggled from the start and went on to get an E at AS which was better than expected.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now