2014 stress levels

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Araucana girl

2014 stress levels

Post by Araucana girl »

Cannot believe where the time is going :shock: Is it really only 4 and a bit months?

DD doing the CEM and I am getting more and more worried about the vocab that I hope she would know by now (she cannot put a book down!) and the realisation that she doesn't know even half the ones I would like her to :(

Getting rather scared :shock:
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
mikedellfarm

Re: 2014 stress levels

Post by mikedellfarm »

We are in the same boat, we use Patricia's list on the site. We try and learn 4 new ones every 3rd day. They end up on a master list which DS gets tested on by us, its laminated and sitting on the kitchen table. We also laminated the word list in the back of the Schofield and Sims Maths KS2 book - the glossary - to ensure he remembers what the maths terms mean. I had a total wobble on Saturday but am now back on track and just focusing on building his confidence. Hang in there.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

mikedellfarm wrote:We are in the same boat, we use Patricia's list on the site. We try and learn 4 new ones every 3rd day. They end up on a master list which DS gets tested on by us, its laminated and sitting on the kitchen table. We also laminated the word list in the back of the Schofield and Sims Maths KS2 book - the glossary - to ensure he remembers what the maths terms mean. I had a total wobble on Saturday but am now back on track and just focusing on building his confidence. Hang in there.
Yes I too laminated lots of Patricia's words and stuck them up on the walls - dd just doesn't look at them. I am now asking her every so often what a word I think is important means.
I am dreading and longing for September all in one :)
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Erm...where are Patricia's words pls?

As for stress levels, well the main stress is just getting any prep done between the demands of my older DD and job, and the obligatory complaining session where DD tells me, again, that no one else has to do any extra work, and she is already top of her class. Whether that's true who knows, but there are big gaps I am finding between school and even the basic Bond stuff. Then she does some, and usually finds it quite fun. That's just her personality I guess, always hates transitions.

On the plus side, it is really improving her confidence and whatever the end result I'm glad we are trying! Her maths school homework she showed me yesterday was a) neat b) completed in a reasonable time and c) correct! A huge improvement, and made me feel like I CAN help her though not a teacher.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/assets ... tricia.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look in the "preparation" section on this site there are other bits that might be of interest as well.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now