Appeal hearing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Miriam-Mimi

Appeal hearing

Post by Miriam-Mimi »

Has anyone got the date for appeal hearing, yet? Mine is held on the 20/05/2013. I am so stressed about it beacause I'm not sure how to prepare for it and also my first language is not English either :( . Any help here? Thanks so much :shock:
JPH1

Re: Appeal hearing

Post by JPH1 »

Hello,
We had our appeal two years ago now and it was all very straight forward. Our's was for our son who passed the 11 plus and was on the waiting list for LSS, and we got through OK.

It can be a bit stressfull but remember to take another family member with you or a good friend for some moral support and to help with any questions.

A typical question is why do you want your child to go to that particular school and what can they bring with them?

Our appeal lasted about 10 - 15 minutes only and we had questions like the above.

Also they may want you to explain how well your child did in the 11 plus both good and areas where the result could have been better - a bit of a balanced view.

All the best, we know it's stressfull but try an relax, the board that do the appeal are usualy very good and try and keep you calm, they know how you feel!

Cheers
Miriam-Mimi

Post by Miriam-Mimi »

Hi JPH1,
Thank you so much for your support. It is really stressful knowing you have to talk about your child in front of the appeal panel. I still can't think of good reason for wanting a place in AGS. I mean the reason what they want to hear. Any suggestions?
Thank you :)
Thank you
JPH1

Post by JPH1 »

Hello,
We wanted LSS because our son wanted to go there so this was the foundation for our case. We had a visit to the school back in 2010, year 5 visit, and this was the school he wanted to go to.

If your child is the same then bring up this point as it makes a great reason for you been there and your childs desires. Tell them that your child works hard at school and has had some great reports and that this school is there desire. Don't put other schools down just state that this where your child wants to go!

I can't be any more simple really.

Cheers
laurabiscuit

Post by laurabiscuit »

Just a quick bit of feedback for you before I get the results of our appeal.

Before the stage 1 appeal they will send you into a waiting room with the other parents and the school and local authority representative. Everyone was pleasant, and nervously chatty! The first stage of the appeal will take place in another room and it feels quite formal. The Clerk will explain what is going on. She was very clear and helpful. The appeal panel will also introduce themselves, and again, they are very clear and friendly.

The school will then explain why it is full – it will sound terrible, complex and full of reasons why it would be catastrophic to admit even 1 more child (maybe it is!?). You will then have opportunity to ask questions about the school’s statement. If you want to do this, I think it is best to remain calm, friendly and polite! The panel may also ask some questions of the school. The LA will then explain the tests process, and again, here you can ask questions. The clerk will then explain what is happening and the panel will leave (or you will all leave) to decide if the school can take all of the children who passed the 11+ for that school. The panel will then return and give its decision. This will probably be to move onto individual appeals. This took about one hour.

You will then leave and come back at your individual time. There were a lot of cancellations, so you may be offered an earlier slot if you want it. Also, make sure that you have access to the phone number you gave on your submission, or give the clerk your current one, as you may get a call to ask if you want to come early (again, only useful if you want that opportunity).

The clerk will take you into the appeal room, along with the school and LA rep. The school and LA rep must not be in the appeal room without you, before or after, but I thought the whole process was run immaculately, so I don’t think that will happen. The appeal panel were very friendly, but I sat a desk opposite them, with the LA an school reps to one side, so it is quite formal. I took about 25 mins, but I didn’t feel at all rushed, I read through my explanation of the information pack I had sent, and was then asked questions by the panel, the school and the LA rep. The clerk took notes. I probably went too fast – if you are pointing out bits of data, it is worth showing it to them and checking that the panel has found it. The school and the LA seemed very neutral – the LA rep helped the panel understand the 11+ marking scheme, which helped explain one of my points far better than I could. I didn’t know if the panel really understood my school performance data, or if they were just asking me questions to check that I understood the basis of my appeal – however, it was a bit unnerving, and I am glad that our primary school headteacher had explained the data fully to me, and that I had done some research on it. It was suggested that the Fischer-Family Trust data I had submitted showed that my DD wouldn’t achieve a L5 in SATs – I had to point out the Headteacher’s letter explained that it showed exactly the opposite, that it said she was very likely to get L5 in all of her SATs! I found this slightly alarming, as I expected the panel members to understand the school performance data that I was using.
Although it was very nerve-wracking, the whole thing was very well run and made as pain-free as possible. My only other point would be around English not being your first language. I don’t know how confident an English speaker you are, but if you find it difficult to communicate in English under pressure, please think about how you will handle this very carefully. If you can take someone with you that might help, but you should ensure that the clerk and the panel know that English isn’t your first language. They seemed very friendly and so concerned that the process was fair that I am sure they will have experience of helping to compensate for this – eg allowing extra time, checking that you understand the questions, checking your answers etc.

Good luck/bon chance etc!
ginx

Post by ginx »

laurabiscuit,

I'm not going to appeal (don't need to thank goodness) but think you're description of the appeal procedure itself will be very helpful to parents. Good luck.
laurabiscuit

Post by laurabiscuit »

Thanks Ginx,

I couldn’t find anyone who had described the recent Warwickshire appeal experience in detail (apart from JPH1) and I would have found it helpful to have known what it was like ‘in the room’ before I went in on Monday. I don’t know the result of the appeal yet - I could phone up to find out, but I will give it away (good or bad) to my DC, and I don’t want to throw her emotions in SATs week! So I will just carry the burden for a little longer.

I am sure that there are some forum members or lurkers who were at the appeal this week who are braver than I am. Maybe they will share their experiences too? The Warwickshire section is too quiet!
Miriam-Mimi

Post by Miriam-Mimi »

laurabiscuit- thank you so much for the feedback on appeal hearing. I hope everything will go well for you and you will soon hear positive news . :D . Our appeal is on Monday. The closer the date is the more worried I am .
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for posting that, laurabiscuit. Very helpful.

Unfortunately it will gradually drop down the list of topics.

Most feedback about appeals is posted in a sticky on the appeals forum.

Perhaps you would consider filing a report here?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks
Etienne
laurabiscuit

Post by laurabiscuit »

Has anyone found out yet how their Warwickshire (in particular Southern Area) appeal has gone yet? I am too chicken to phone up and find out :? . I wondered if the ominous silence means that no one has been successful - ie the extra places on offer this year really have meant that the school is full, unlike previous years where there was obviously a little bit more space than the PAN had allowed for.

I think it would really help others if we can work out if this is the case, as this year the number of places is very different to previous years, so there is no history to go on.

I know that it can be a bit raw and sensitive, but if anyone can bring themselves to share their facts (if not emotions!), this might help others. More long term contributors may have a view whether this is sensible or not, as I am a bit of a newbie here.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now