Shool choice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Vale Mum

Shool choice

Post by Vale Mum »

Our child has been tutored for the eleven plus and we think that he has
a chance of passing, but now that we have been to the open evenings we
prefer an upper school. We are looking at Waddesdon church of England
that really impressed us and that our child liked a lot.

We would like to put Waddesdon as our first preference, but it is
worrying us not to have a grammar school as first choice. I would be
very interested in other people opinion, and on any insider knowledge of
the school.

Thanks in advance.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Vale Mum

I have no personal experience of Waddesdon, but it is a very popular Upper School and coveted alternative for many who do not get into a Grammar School.

Please look carefully at the admission criteria. If the school is over-subscribed the two criteria used for admission are distance and evidence of religious commitment. In 2007 the school was able to offer places to all catchment children, regardless of religious commitment. In 2006 the school was more popular and church commitment was one of the criteria used to gain places.

Please bear in mind that, if you put Waddesdon in first place, even if your child passes the 11+, you will still automatically be offered Waddesdon. If your first choice is a Grammar you must still put any Grammar Schools first, and Waddesdon as your next choice.

Sally-Anne
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

I believe the key is to put the schools in GENUINE order of choice. The more you try to play the system the bigger tangle you can get into.

If you genuinely prefer Waddesdon over all other schools including grammars (but would be happy also with the grammars) then put Waddesdon first, the grammar(s) next and your catchment Upper next. Make sure your daughter still understands that the 11+ is important for giving her the maximum opportunity.

If she doesn't pass, Waddesdon will take her depending on your position (i.e. catchment/religious commitment). If not, then the catchment Upper will be next on the list.

If she does pass, Waddesdon will still take her if they can but, if not, the grammars will give her a place (again depending on catchment, etc.). If you have made sure your catchment grammar is listed, it is very unlikely she won't get a place and so the local Upper won't come into play.

Geoffrey
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DO go round the Grammars before you make up your mind. Waddesdon, although a good school, does not offer the same breadth of subjects in the Sixth Form as a Grammar.

You need to live in Waddesdon catchment to be sure of a place - although the last two years have been 'different' to the historical picture of admissions i.e. a lot of catchment children achieved 11+ qualifying in a smaller cohort.
Vale mum

Post by Vale mum »

Thank you all for your replies.
We have visited the schools, and liked Waddesdon, and paid attention to the GCSE and A level results but not so much on the breath of subjects in the sixth form. We are going to take it into consideration now.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't know where you live but you should visit both RLS and SHF - the latter has not had it's Open Evening yet.