AGGS - how important are SATS results?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Halemum

AGGS - how important are SATS results?

Post by Halemum »

I know this isn't really 11 plus related but I was just wondering how important the SATS results are. My DD was told by her teacher that the results will get passed onto AGGS and will determine which class or group she will be in. Is this true?

Her school is putting a lot of emphasis on next weeks exams and is causing her what I feel is unnecessary stress. She is constantly worrying about it. I've told her to stop panicking, she's going to AGGS in Sept and that's all that matters. Nothing can change that.

I have also heard that the prep schools don't even sit the SATS exams so then how can these results possibly determine what group the girls will be in?
agsbmad

Re: AGGS - how important are SATS results?

Post by agsbmad »

Preps are having an exams week too, it is maths, English, VR and NVR, marked externally, so similar to SATS. Our teacher also told us that the results are quite important, the school will look at SATS (NFER for preps)/11+ exam results/ CAT test that they are going to sit in September, first week in new school and decide which group to assign them to. I am a bit worried, my son scored almost full marks at Alty exam, but he is very relaxed at the moment and not taking his school tests seriously.
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

Thanks for your response. It all makes more sense to me now. :)
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Do not stress about it, they take many things into consideration SATs, CATs, entrance test result (and later on end of year test results) when setting. I believe that it is the CAT scores that give the best insight into their inate ability in certain areas.
There is a lot of movement in the first few years between sets as the differences between the state and prep school teaching level out (preps often teach ahead of the NC so are at a slight advantage at first as they may have covered some year 7 topics before). Although I don't have a DD at the school my DS has many friends at the school.
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

Hi Halemum,

There is no streaming based on ability in year 7 at aggs. My daughter is currently in year 7. Classes are based on foreign language choice and friendship groups from primary. In my daughters class there seems to be a wide mix of abilities/levels.

They only stream for maths and foreign languages from year 8 onwards and otherwise stay with their form group for all subjects until options in year 10.

Aggs used the sats to help determine her baseline assessments and targets for the year. They also do some cat tests in Sep which are low key are used for targets also.

Tell your daughter not to worry about the sats at all!

Jm
x
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

Thank you juggler mum, I had heard similar before but I'm glad you came on to clarify things for me. We can all relax now. Where was that sun?
ginx

Post by ginx »

Halemum,

I too have stressed over this, so approached the gs my daughter is going to. They are streamed alphabetically by surname until year 9 and do not use the Sats to set girls, but keep them to set their targets - so if by some miracle dd got a level 6, by end year 8 she should be a level 8.

It's bothered me, too, but gs said they don't use the results to set them. That's here, of course, though!
Lucy.P71

Post by Lucy.P71 »

I heard the same thing but other schools in the area, not AGGS, do use the SATs to set initially along with feedback given by the teachers at the primary school. All teachers fill in a form about each child going to the grammar schools and they have to put predicted SATs results on them. I know at one point other grammar schools were going to set in Year 7 based on them a couple of years ago so this is probably where the confusion comes from as some schools do set straight away. I've heard the same as above, they are used for their targets and to differentiate within the classes themselves, as done at primary school level too. Just get all the exams over with I say!
Valmont

Post by Valmont »

Another urban myth to cause anxiety among parents.

The AGGS joining pack states that girls could be grouped in year 7 based on language choice, primary school friends AND entrance exam score which does suggest there is some sort of streaming going on.

At the end of the day does it really matter if your DD is put in a class with others girls of a similar academic ability, surely this is a good thing. I am sure whichever year 7 class they are in they will all get a truely outstanding education.
jugglermum

Post by jugglermum »

Last edited by jugglermum on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.