How much should I try to pick holes in the schools statement

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
laurabiscuit

How much should I try to pick holes in the schools statement

Post by laurabiscuit »

How much should I try to pick holes in the school's statement of prejudice in the first stage?

I am appealing a place at a GS that has increased its size by one form and the number of children per form, and is building to accommodate this.
I have read Etienne’s fantastic notes and these suggest that I should really limit myself to a ‘I understand the school’s position’ statement, and leave it to the panel, who are more than capable of pulling apart the prejudice statement. I don’t doubt the panel will find prejudice, and that they will go on to weigh the prejudice in each individual case.
However, the statement has a number of assertions not backed with evidence. I assume that they do this every year and that the panel really can see where the gaps are.
I can PM my views of the statement if needed, but I really just want to double check – should I bite my tongue and leave this bit to the panel? Or can I/should I find a way of summing up my (many) observations in a short polite statement? Or should I go through all of my questions?
Thank you!
Alex

Re: How much should I try to pick holes in the schools state

Post by Alex »

It rather depends on the circumstances :)

You need to bear in mind that the school's case for prejudice is about admitting any further child and that your particular child scores no extra points, so to speak, because you are the parent who dented the school's case. If you do manage to dent the case you do so for all of the people appealing. That is why, when you are amongst a group of people appealing, it is especially important to concentrate on your own case.

If there is a group hearing of Part 1, I see no reason not to ask as many questions as you wish, if they have not already been covered by anyone else. However, if Part 1 is heard separately in each individual appeal you need just to make sure that the emphasis still remains on your individual case which should not become overshadowed by a very longwinded Part 1.
laurabiscuit

Post by laurabiscuit »

Thank you. There is a group hearing of Part 1, with the individual Part 2 hearings later. So I think I will make a careful list of questions for Part 1 and ask them if they don't get asked. After all, if it gets one extra place added, it might be useful to me!

I am assuming that once (if) the panel find prejudice, they then go on to weigh the individual prejudice to the school and the child in the 2nd stage, and that the more dented the school's case, the better for the case of the child (although the school's case applies equally to all of the children appealing).

Thank you for all of the fantastic information.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

If the panel don't ask what evidence there has been of reported accidents or incidents based on overcrowding in previous year groups where the school have been forced by a Panel to exceed the PAN in previous years. Commonly the answer is that there is none, hence the expectation if they've 'had' to take a small number (say 1 per form) over in he past they can generally continue to accommodate the same again if the case for the child outweighs the school's case. I would make the point if the answer was there was no evidence, 'would it be fair to say that while it may have been difficult the school has coped with the enforced extra students in the past they have managed'. The answer to that is often that they will say they have managed because they have been forced to.

What that does is give a panel a few spaces to be fairly certain they could enforce are allocated, but that doesn't mean your child will get it...... you need to convince the panel they deserve it over others.

Good luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now