Independent Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MumofTwoSD

Independent Schools

Post by MumofTwoSD »

Can any one assist with details of boys or girls or mixed independent schools in and around Milton Keynes for secondary school who offer scholarship? Is there anywhere we can find the full details of such schools?

If 10 year DS's reading, comprehension, Maths and NVR is a good 3 to 4 years ahead, is there a good chance for trying out an independent school with good scholarship? Or is it safe to try for grammar school only?

Thanks In Advance!
Kingfisher

Re: Independent Schools

Post by Kingfisher »

I don't know your area but I should do my research, in your position. Most students for the best indies will have some scores that are exceptional, but there are no guarantees for a scholarship. very few are awarded, and these will be partial only. Your DC will have to come top of the entire cohort. At my DD's super selective 5 partial scholarships were awarded; over 600 people applied and sat the exam for a place in her year group.

Count on nothing. If your DC is extremely able s/he will stand a chance of obtaining one, but would a 10% reduction swing it for you? Sometimes the scholarship is no more than that. If you are on a low income you might qualify for a bursary, assuming DC gets in; sometimes students are in receipt of both.

If I were in your position, I should be applying for the grammars locally as well. Get on the web and look things up. If DC is in Year 5 you will need to sort things in the next 6 months, and that means visiting the schools as well.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Bucks GS are so good that the local private schools to MK tend not to be very popular.

Try google ...
MumofTwoSD

Post by MumofTwoSD »

Thanks a lot for your responses, really appreciate. Yes, GS will be the best option if only 10% or minimum scholarship is awarded.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello OP, Is your dd in Year Five? Are you saying that her English Reading and Comprehension is that of a Year Nine student? What mark does she get if she sits a KS3 comprehension paper? What sort of tests has she taken for this assessment to have been made? What SATS Level is she at in English and Maths? Has she been doing any of the Maths challenges or writing challenges? Eleven plus is a different beast so you need to do some mocks to make sure that she is writing in a style that will pick up the maximum marks. Most private schools tend to use English and Maths papers like the North London Consortium. Have you tried any of their papers? You need to be aware that many Year Fives are head down doing papers and mocks. Too late for Sutton mocks, they are all sold out but hopefully you can find something in your area. DG