Verbal reasoning practice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Morgan0210

Verbal reasoning practice

Post by Morgan0210 »

Hi,
How much time each week is everyone's child doing Vr?
Morgan0210

Re: Verbal reasoning practice

Post by Morgan0210 »

So many views but no reply? Take it no ones bothering with Vr them?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Okay, here's a response to start you off, then :) . And one no doubt to appear very, very strange, as the answer is, none as far as I am aware (his teacher has apparently been doing some with the class, occasionally - apparently she has also been giving them the odd page or two of an old maths paper). Yes, he has gone over a couple of VR papers to date (and done quite well, otherwise I suspect even I might be a little more concerned :roll: ), and yes, he will have a bit more practice between now and September, but all our DC (DS2 is our third and last) know our feelings on tutoring (and I am afraid that I do draw a distinction between a bit of guidance from Mum and Dad and an hour or more a week, every week, for months or years on end, with a "professional"). So far we have one DS in yr11 at GS and DD in yr7 at a comprehensive , having managed to do something very unexpected and unfortunate in VR in her CSSE test :(. However, as DS2 has maths classes with yr7 at a local GS, I do know that DD is at least at the same or slightly higher level in maths as the bulk of the girls there.

Although of course, they did rather better than her in VR on the day...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

An IPS 10 minute daily test every day if we can. We did an exam at the weekend - timed - just to see how it went and he did very well. Really like the Bright Sparks Susan Daughtrey papers (recommended on this forum thank you) as it pointed out which type he is not great at. VR and Maths are his strengths.. as for English... :cry:
cetaylormade

Post by cetaylormade »

mikedellfarm so relived to hear I'm not the only one worrying about English!! :?

As for VR my dd is just looking through the gl verbal reasoning explained, but generally VR seems to be her strong point :D
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

I am just getting more and more paranoid about vocabulary :?
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now