High Sleeper bed - any feedback?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bestichka

High Sleeper bed - any feedback?

Post by Bestichka »

Now that 11+ stress is over, all my free time and energy is on house re-vamp (much neglected due to hectic 1.5 yrs of DS's preparation). One of the ideas I'm playing with is to get DS a high sleeper to optimize his room space. His room is quite spacious, but currently a sofa takes up half a room and high ceiling space is unused.

I'm thinking http://www.stompa.com/acatalog/Casa-4-C ... Y6Gr8o2_Kc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does anyone have any feedback on high sleeper beds in general? Are they comfortable/convenient? Would you get one or it's just clever marketing?

Heelp, i hate shopping very much and can rarely be decisive - such a pain...
hermanmunster

Re: High Sleeper bed - any feedback?

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi we got one for DD (IKEA one but for v little via well known nternet auction site :wink: ).

It is a double width one a bit like this (feels less likely to fall out!) http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00160866/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be careful that the ceiling is high enough - our house has v high ceilings but I couldn;t have used it in other houses
- also the height underneath is about 5'6" ish so OK for DD and some of the family but wouldn't be OK for everyone

Changing the sheets can be an experience :shock:

Would we get rid of it ? .. no.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

My DDs have outgrown theirs v quickly -one mid-high the other like the one you show-it is too near the ceiling to sit up. Also deeply uncool for DD1 once she got to Y7, we are struggling to rehome both the bed and contents. Both were second hand from DCs who I wondered at the time why they didn't want it any more, but 3 years on neither of my DDs now age 12 and 10, are very pleased and the eldest has been wanting a normal bed for over a year.

I have girls but your link photo might be too girly? Sorry to pour cold water. Metallic finish might be better?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I love the one you've chosen, not girly at all, very classy I'd say.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Apart from the bedlinen-changing issue, a lovely idea if you have the space, although personally I would have problems due to having absolutely no head for heights! (I can go up, but getting back down again can be less than fun - nearly had to spend the night sitting on the floor halfway up a windmill on the Isle of Wight once, as others twice my age or more trotted merrily up and down the ladders :( ). And please don't make me relive that night I had to sleep in an upper bunk on a very rough crossing from Harwich to Esbjerg...).

The people who bought our last house from us were going to install the IKEA version in the second bedroom - I couldn't really see it working, personally, but they must have been satisfied that it would, as it was one of their conditions for completing the transaction :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

Don't do it.

Ds1 had a complete flexibed system complete with bookcase and desk underneath. Even with high ceilings it's hard to sit up, you need the hanging bed shelf to take drink light etc, long flex on bed lamp, and the drink falls long way etc. You can't sit on the edge of the bed and have a chat and changing the sheets is acrobatic! The desk space seems like a good idea but can be quite claustrophobic and dark and if they are sick - yuk!!!! Oh and it gets very hot up there.

Just to make you laugh ds shouted out he felt sick and dh went up the ladder to see him as he was coming down - I will leave the rest to your imaginations and yes the worse case scenario happened!!!!!!
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Dd1 had one for years, and was very happy with it. I took the legs off it last summer because I decided that at 15 she was too big for it (it was getting a bit wobbly!), but she'd probably have stayed in it till she left home :-)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD has a mid height one rather than a high one. Lots of space underneath to store stuff and even I can reach the corners to change the bed. Whether in the near future she decides its too childish for her remains to be seen.

Perhaps a good compromise?
Bestichka

Post by Bestichka »

Wow, lots of replies = THANK YOU very much to all of you! Yes, you have answered some of my doubts and concerns (i'm no acrobat for changing sheets, DS may grow tall v.quickly (DH is 185 cm, I'm 175) so no use for it.... I also see the point about them being sick etc etc...

What about mid-sleepers?? It was mentioned in brief earlier on, but i'd now like to investigate in that directions. ANY thoughts will be very welcome.

THANKS again!!!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'm 160cm and can change the bed on a mid sleeper, if that helps.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now