Civil engineering

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Civil engineering

Post by moved »

Hi,
I had conversation with a relative at the weekend. He is holding offers for civil engineering from Loughborough and Nottingham Trent. He doesn't think he will make Loughborough and his parents don't want him to go to Nottingham Trent. The reasons for them disliking Nottingham Trent are that it is a 'lower tier' (not my judgement) university and the father doesn't believe the boy will have good job prospects. Does anyone know if civil engineering places come up at clearing.
Thanks
KB

Re: Civil engineering

Post by KB »

Its a few years since we did UCAS but I believe that if he is holding an offer from Nottingham Trent and gets the grades required then he isn't eligible to go through clearing?
What I don't know is if he can change his mind at this stage and decline Nottingham Trent in order to go through clearing if he doesn't make the Loughborough grades. I think he may have to call the University and persuade them to release him?

If he has any doubts about Nottingham Trent and isn't eligible for/cant get an acceptable place through clearing then he might want to think about delaying a year and reapplying. It is a lot of time and money to invest if he isn't sure. (He should be able to check the employment record for the course)
The year out would allow him to retake subjects (although unfortunately not until the summer!) and/or get some work experience - both of which might strengthen his application.

Another option to think about is a modern apprenticeship. I believe there are some very good ones in engineering - that allow you to gain degree/professional qualifications while working (and avoid the huge debts :)

I think that there were some places for Civil Engineering a couple of years ago but not 100% sure. If he is thinking about this then he would need to check if there any courses that he would be happy with that might take him through clearing - ones that he hasn't already applied to, who generally make offers that he is likely to obtain(will be available on dept web site), and then see if they use clearing (try the dept web site, student room or calling the admissions office)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You do have to ask to be released from your insurance offer before being allowed into clearing: (from UCAS site)
I didn't meet the grades for my firm choice but I don't want to go to my insurance choice - can I apply elsewhere?

You have made a commitment to your insurance choice so if you no longer want to attend you should contact the university or college to discuss your situation. If they agree to withdraw your offer, you can then apply for another course in Clearing.
Suspect most unis will let you go as they don't want people to be unhappy.

Worth bearing in mind that the more sought after unis for most subjects don't have any clearing slots at all and some haven't for years.

Really think if he doesn't want Nottm Trent and doesn't get Loughborough then best to have year out - get some relevant experience and apply again
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Loughborough do an excellent foundation year for science and engineering. Would your relative's son consider this as opposed to retakes / clearing? It costs but your relatives DS would start at the university he prefers (well regarded for engineering), with all the perks etc in Y0; on successful completion of Y0 he moves to Y1 onto the science / engineering course of his choice. He may end up preferring one of the many other science / engineering courses at Loughborough after arriving.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sefs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DD knows lots of students who entered their degrees via sefs at Lufs. They end up doing the science degree at the their preferred university - and Loughborough is a great university!

Hope he gets the grades but if not... maybe worth looking at.
Straight into a degree of 3 plus years at another university that is second choice, with lower grades is not always better than a foundation year somewhere you really want to go to and has an amazing reputation.

Decisions...
Best wishes
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

And yes, I know a girl who a couple of years ago didn't want her insurance and got 'released' from the university. She had to contact them after results day. She quickly got another place through clearing.
moved

Post by moved »

Thanks Belinda. That sounds like the perfect solution. He has already had an extra year as he fluffed his AS exams first time round. As he's summer born, the extra year won't matter too much.

Edit: not sure he will qualify as his A levels are in the right subjects. He just didn't work hard enough!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Having looked up the link, after posting, I note the rules seem to have changed; when DD applied 4 yrs ago she included the SEFS course on her UCAS application in case she didn't get the grades. There were no 'restrictions' back then. Anyone could apply.

If your relative's son would choose this option over clearing or resits then my advice would be to really push for it post results day - regardless of published rules! We all know universities can and do bend the rules post results day to fill up their courses.

Tentative enquiries beforehand too? Mmmm... Don't know if I'd hedge my bets - or wait and see...

Good luck to your relative's son. :D
KB

Post by KB »

If you wait until results day to try to get insurance offer to release you then you may well miss any decent clearing places by the time they put it through the system so if he wants to try for clearing I would contact them sooner and see if they will do it now.
moved

Post by moved »

Thanks, we had a long chat last night and he's discussing the options with his parents.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now