11PLUS

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dell1

11PLUS

Post by dell1 »

I have just started preparing my son for 11+ exams which are only 6 months to go.

Do you think I have left it to late or I have enough time. He's an average students and have to sometimes push him

Thanks
Norm

In my opinion ...

Post by Norm »

I am aware of many parents who have started at a later stage than 6 months before the examinations and still been successful at attaining a place in their first choice school.

How successful you will be will depend on the following factors:

1. The contention ratio for the school that you are applying for

2. The subject matter – if your son has to do all four subjects (i.e. verbal reasoning, maths, English and non-verbal reasoning) then it will be a struggle; if however you are attempting the former two only then it is very do-able

3. The amount of revision time you spend between now and the exams – at the very least three to five hours a week and more so during the summer holidays (in fact with application you can accomplish the lions share of the preparation in the summer holidays provided one of the parents can apportion time)

4. Your son’s birthday – the younger he is relative to the other children who are sitting the examination the less he has to score relatively (Standardised Score).

5. His motivation – do not overload him but keep the pace fast, make sure he sees the questions as a challenge rather than a chore, and do not procrastinate on a single topic too long, far better to switch between subjects and short and long sessions.

Finally the key to all this is to practice, practice , practice!

Good luck!
Mary

Post by Mary »

Dear guest do you know how many extra points achild who is born in August woudl get and how are they added
sleepless

adjustment for age

Post by sleepless »

It depends on which 11+ your child is taking (ie, the area)

If you are applying for a place via the Essex 11+ there is no adjustment at all for age.
Mary

Post by Mary »

It is the Bucks test
sleepless

Adjustment for age

Post by sleepless »

Sorry, not sure on that one Mary, doubtless someone will know.

Good luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now