Should I appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pickle

Re: Should I appeal?

Post by pickle »

Hi,

I've posted the statement to the appeals box.

My concerns are that it's too lengthy and that it doesn't scream 'very bright child' :(

I'm hoping it will carry a little weight though, as I think this sort of letter is very rare coming from our primary. Not really sure what I think of it though. It concerns me that we're using extenuating circs as part of our appeal but there's a sentence in the statement implying he wasn't ready. It seems contradictory. Also, the information on the reading age etc. was the opposite way around in October so it looks as though he's gone backwards for reading by a year! Add to this, I have a Y5 report that I don't know whether to include as it shows a full level of progression in one subject, but no progression in another and I'm stressing! I have no idea why these SATs fluctuate so much. There's no mention of him sitting the L6 papers either :roll:

(In a) Pickle.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm hoping it will carry a little weight though
I think so. It was clearly intended to be very supportive (but does read like a character reference at times).
I think this sort of letter is very rare coming from our primary.
A point you must really stress at the hearing.
there's a sentence in the statement implying he wasn't ready
I think this sort of statement is meant positively.

Some children do mature in the spring/summer of year 6, and make accelerated progress. This could well be the implication of "gaining in confidence," "constantly improving" and "will blossom".
There's no mention of him sitting the L6 papers either
You'll have to tell the panel - it's more likely than not that they will believe you.
the information on the reading age etc. was the opposite way around in October so it looks as though he's gone backwards
Reading tests are not 100% reliable. Two different tests taken on the same day could deliver very different results!
Etienne
pickle

Post by pickle »

Thank you. I agree about the character reference :roll:

His teacher definitely meant well but I doubt it's enough :(

I can't do anymore now as I have to hand it all in on Friday. All I have is one side of A4 that I have written, plus the school's letter.

It still doesn't sit right that I'm supposedly addressing an independent panel, yet the covering form I filled in was from the school and I have to send it all back to the 'admissions dept' at the school. Doesn't feel very independent to me.

Pickle.
pickle

Post by pickle »

Hi Etienne,

I submitted my appeal. Unfortunately I didn't get a glance of the invigilator's report beforehand as it hasn't been sent out to me yet. I requested the info nearly 2 weeks ago and all I've had is an email stating that they're 'working on a response' should it not just be on file so readily available???

I doubt viewing the report would've made much difference to what I'd have written in my appeal but maybe it would have??

Pickle.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Pickle

Etienne is unexpectedly away until next week and hasn't got internet access, so I am holding the fort for a few days.

The report must be on file and readily available, so my guess is that they may be taking legal advice.

Etienne thought there could be a Data Protection problem, which is why she suggested the names of any other pupils would need to be removed first.

S-A
pickle

Post by pickle »

Thank you Sally-Anne.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see then.

Pickle.
pickle

Post by pickle »

Hello again Sally/Etienne,

I received a letter yesterday from the school saying that they 'can't' give me a copy of the report but that it will be referred to at the hearing. Is this fair?? Why can't I see it properly beforehand?

Thank you.

Pickle.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello Pickle

So long as you asked for names to be removed, I think in all probability they would be in breach of the Code by refusing.
  • Etienne wrote:Ask too for a copy of the invigilator's report (with names of pupils removed).
    (If the school doesn't respond, take a copy of your letter to the hearing, and tell the panel that the school failed in its duty to provide reasonable information which you needed to help prepare for the appeal. The Appeals Code states: "2.8 Admission authorities must comply with reasonable requests from parents for information which they need to help them prepare their case for appeal."
Etienne
pickle

Post by pickle »

Thank you.

Would a copy of my email be classed as new evidence? Today I received a date for the hearing & it says that after Monday, any new evidence may not be considered. I'm so cross that they've given me only two days to question this when I requested the info weeks ago :x

Pickle.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think the thing to do is to express concern to the panel that - despite paragraph 2.8 of the Appeals Code - the school refused to provide information which you wanted to help prepare for the appeal.

Then add that you have a copy of the correspondence with you if the panel should wish to see it.

The school says it will 'refer' to the report at the hearing. Why not produce the evidence?
They do seem very reluctant to let anyone see it, even with names redacted!
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now