Judd appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twellsmum

Judd appeals

Post by twellsmum »

I have heard that Judd are refusing to take any boys on appeal this year. Can anyone confirm this?
Twinkle

Re: Judd appeals

Post by Twinkle »

I don't think that they can. It's down to the appeal panel. They may vigorously defend an appeal but they may not succeed.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes. If there are schools that don't refuse children on appeal, why do they go through the time and expense of an appeal? I thought if they had the space the admissions code was more lenient now so that schools that are willing to take extra children can do so? Sham appeals seem so pointless.

I've even read on here of schools with spaces holding appeals. What's that about? Why don't they just admit from the waiting list? Do they prefer to see what people look like?!!
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Maybe because the children appealing do not have a grammar school assessment. All 29 appeals for TW boys' grammar this year were from boys with high school assessments who could not, by definition, go on the waiting list. So, has anyone heard of a successful Judd appeal this year or are the rumours true?
3boys24

Post by 3boys24 »

Has anyone who attended Judd Appeals received their letters yet as I believed should have been notified by yesterday 17th.
jaymum

Post by jaymum »

I too have heard that none of the appeals for Judd were upheld this year. All who appealed have failed, apparently...

For any parents who went through the trauma of the above appeals, I feel for you x
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh so now I understand the rumour. Sorry for being thick. The rumour is that the appeals panel for Judd has not upheld any appeals this year. I don't know if that is the case or not. Bit alarming though that someone on the panel would leak the results before the parents knew.

Yes it would make sense that grammar schools with space could not admit children from the waiting list who did not have grammar assessments. I didn't realise that this situation ever arose as I thought the pressure on grammar places from those that had passed was high enough. But it would make sense thinking about it now as about 30% of West Kent children attend grammar schools according to some stats I read a while back, but the overall pass rate before head teacher review and non-qual appeals is about 23%.
jaymum

Post by jaymum »

I don't think anyone on the panel leaked this information Mystery. The parents should have been notified by 17th May anyway, from what I understand.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Quite possibly, but 3jaysmum above didn't know on Sat 18th, so if someone has said no-one was successful at appeal this year, where did it come from?!
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

A friend of a friend has a son who received a grammar school assessment but was appealing for Judd. My friend told me she had heard from her friend (who was appealing) that judd weren't taking any extra pupils. I think this friend of a friend went all the way through the appeal process but I don't know if they had a stage 1 meeting and were told then that there was no room or if they were notified separately. Hence my original post trying to find out exactly what the position was.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now